Load Calc and Wire Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manco

New User
Occupation
Designer/Developer
I'm a designer/Developer (not an electrician:) working in Nashville, TN. I have a new build residence that is 3200 sqft with two 2-Ton Electric heat pumps, two 18K 2-Head mini splits, two washers & electric dryers, one elec range, one 80 gal hybrid elec water heater. I spec'ed a 400 amp service and main panel for the house BUT after changing GC's due to errors it appears that the 400 amp service was not run. Instead I have a 200 amp meter base running to a 200 amp main panel (+125 amp sub panel in music studio). Biggest problem is that the meter base is located 250' from the main panel with 2 1/2" conduit run between the two locations.
- Is 200 amp service enough for this house?
- If so, can I fit a sufficient size wire over the 250' distance within a 2 1/2" size conduit (considering the drop in amperage)?
- If not, do I have any options other than digging and running a larger conduit?

Open to all considerations from you professionals. Thanks! Manco

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
While this is not a DIY post (not allowed to assist DIYer) the post asks for detailed load calcs with information we don’t have, our members are busy. I will lock the post, if the other mods disagree they can unlock. You should get a local electrician to do a load calc

Status
Not open for further replies.