Load Calc for Light Industrial Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samardas

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Local Plan Check officer wants to see the load calculations for a "light industrial facility" where the owner has asked for a 4000A, 480/277V, 3 Ph utility main service for a total of 5-6 buildings inside the facility. It is not known what type of tenants will rent the buildings which are not occupied yet. The plan checker wants the load calc based on NEC-220. I looked at NEC-220 but not sure if I am doing it right. Each building should have a total load between 500A and 800A in order to justify 4000A service. Any idea how to proceed? Please let me know if I have to clarify further. Thanks a lot for your help!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Give the plan examiner the load calc's for the unoccupied buildings with a note appended thereto stating future loads are anticipated but cannot be determined at present.

You only have to justify a 4,000A service exceeds calculated load to be compliant.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Local Plan Check officer wants to see the load calculations for a "light industrial facility" where the owner has asked for a 4000A, 480/277V, 3 Ph utility main service for a total of 5-6 buildings inside the facility. It is not known what type of tenants will rent the buildings which are not occupied yet. The plan checker wants the load calc based on NEC-220. I looked at NEC-220 but not sure if I am doing it right. Each building should have a total load between 500A and 800A in order to justify 4000A service. Any idea how to proceed? Please let me know if I have to clarify further. Thanks a lot for your help!

You don't have justify that you need a 4000 amp service to the local authorities. All they should care about is that it exceeds or meets your need. The poco will be the tough ones to convince.

Status
Not open for further replies.