Load calcs for an apartment

Occupation
Electrician
When doing load calcs for the service of an apartment building, do you calculate each unit first then add? I have a confusing question that I am unsure of proper procedure. Normally, you would account for all ranges for all the units, then deduct accordingly. This problem shows 2) 8kw ranges per unit and 13 units. Would I go off of the 26-30 count of ranges, which would be 27kw or would I go off 2 ranges, which would be 11kw times 13 units?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When doing load calcs for the service of an apartment building, do you calculate each unit first then add? I have a confusing question that I am unsure of proper procedure. Normally, you would account for all ranges for all the units, then deduct accordingly. This problem shows 2) 8kw ranges per unit and 13 units. Would I go off of the 26-30 count of ranges, which would be 27kw or would I go off 2 ranges, which would be 11kw times 13 units?

Are you going to use 220.84?

If you are doing the ranges then I would go off the 26 ranges and get 24kw using col. B Where are you getting 27kw

Occupation
Electrician

If you are doing the ranges then I would go off the 26 ranges and get 24kw using col. B Where are you getting 27kw
I was using table 220.55. 26-30 ranges. I guess it is 24 kw. I looked in the column to the right of it for not over 12kw. My bad.

I am new to load calcs, and trying to learn. Single family is easy enough but the multifamily is tricky at times. Is there a better thread for learning them?

Occupation
E Eng

26/3 = 8.66->9

9*2 = 18
Demand factor from Table 220.55 : 28%

18 * .28 * 8kW = 40.3 kW

40.3 / 2 = 20.16kW

20.16kW * 3 = 60.5 kW
I thought this was the process for applying 220.55.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
would the key not rely on the service being 3 phase or single phase ?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I was using table 220.55. 26-30 ranges. I guess it is 24 kw. I looked in the column to the right of it for not over 12kw. My bad.

I am new to load calcs, and trying to learn. Single family is easy enough but the multifamily is tricky at times. Is there a better thread for learning them?
Table 220.55, Column C for 26 ranges would be 41kW.

Column B for (26) 8kW ranges would be 49.9kW.

You could use the lower value from Column C.

Occupation
E Eng
This is why I stick with the Optional Method.

The current draw @ 60.5kW 3ph will be less than 41kW 1ph, but i'm still surprised that the demand kW is so much higher for 3ph.

It's also strange to me that the same code section can be applied so differently depending on whether the design is for 1ph or 3ph.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
This is why I stick with the Optional Method.

The current draw @ 60.5kW 3ph will be less than 41kW 1ph, but i'm still surprised that the demand kW is so much higher for 3ph.

It's also strange to me that the same code section can be applied so differently depending on whether the design is for 1ph or 3ph.
Use Col. C. The demand for the ranges will be 49.5kW instead of 60.5kW

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
9*2=18. The demand for 18 ranges is 33kW.

33kW * 1.5 = 49.5kW.
But in the typical case of a 13 unit building supplied by 3 phase power, each apartment would only get 120/208V "single" phase. So with 2 ranges per apartment, the 26 ranges are arranged as 10, 8, and 8 across the 3 phases, not 9, 9, 8.

Also, does 220.55 really require us to use the same load for 10, 8, and 8 as for 10, 10, and 10? Seems like the first case should be a lower load.

Cheers, Wayne

Occupation
Electrician
I'm glad more people have had imput. It was single phase in the problem. I originally used column C by mistake. It should have been B. My confusion lay more in whether I would take 2 ranges for the 1 unit, then take that number by 13 units, or if I would go off 26 ranges for 13 units. I can't remember if it was optional or standard.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I originally used column C by mistake. It should have been B.
Use Column C instead of Column B. It gives you a lower demand.
or if I would go off 26 ranges for 13 units. I can't remember if it was optional or standard.
You would use 26 ranges for 13 units. If it was the optional calculation, you wouldn't be using 220.55.