Load calculations in regards to existing commercial buildings and EV chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Hatchett

New User
Occupation
Project Manager
I find myself tasked with contemplating load calculations on existing commercial buildings(i.e.. hotels, shopping centers) for the sake of adding EV chargers. The vendor of said charging equipment provides detailed information on their own requirements which helps tremendously.

I am familiar with the math for load calculations, however, the obstacles I currently face are.....

1.)Some suggest reaching out to the utility company in regards to usage over a certain period of time. Is this public knowledge? Do they just hand that information over?

2.)In my experience in new construction most of the math in question is already completed on the drawings. After the building is complete where is this information kept? Would the management of a hotel have the slightest clue where to find building prints? More importantly, who's to say there haven't been additional loads added over time?

3.)If my only information to contemplate is what I can physically see in an electrical room. How do I go about making an educated calculation that I can stand behind and provide to a customer??

Any help would be appreciated
thanks

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
See 220.87,
I find myself tasked with contemplating load calculations on existing commercial buildings(i.e.. hotels, shopping centers) for the sake of adding EV chargers. The vendor of said charging equipment provides detailed information on their own requirements which helps tremendously.

I am familiar with the math for load calculations, however, the obstacles I currently face are.....

1.)Some suggest reaching out to the utility company in regards to usage over a certain period of time. Is this public knowledge? Do they just hand that information over?
Usually no someone needs to authorize you.
2.)In my experience in new construction most of the math in question is already completed on the drawings. After the building is complete where is this information kept? Would the management of a hotel have the slightest clue where to find building prints? More importantly, who's to say there haven't been additional loads added over time?
see 220.87
EOT

Status
Not open for further replies.