Load Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

extreme

I Need some help in detraining if I need to upgrade to a 400 amp panel. Single family 2889sq ft. It has a 5 ton and a 2 ton ac unit. I'm getting a service demand load of 41371 va . 175 AMP. This is Arizona they probably will be adding on a swimming pool. This house also get a extra detached garage. (It already has a three car garage) The detached garage could be from 900sq ft to 1300 sq ft, bath room w/water heater and who knows what else?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Load Calculations

I had temporarily moved this question to an area open only to Moderators. The reason for the move has been resolved, and I am moving the question back to the active area .

On behalf of the Forum Owner and its Moderators, I wish to offer a sincere apology to ?extreme,? both for the inconvenience and for the delay.

I would ask that the forum members give this question your due consideration, and that you provide whatever assistance you can.

bob

Go to the Home page and under free stuff there is a residential caculator that will assist you in making the caculation. Even has swimming pool load.

[ August 25, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: bob ]

extreme

I did the standard calculation at Mike's. It automatic add in the pool. With the pool added it calculates depending on the house size between 185amps and 195amps. My biggest concern is when a detach garage is added on.

bob

You have not listed any of the loads. I assume that there is no electrical heat. Range, W.H., Dryer? You are at a 200 amps service by your caculations. Add the sq. footage of the addition and estimate loads and re-run the cacls. You may be up to 225 amps. If you don't have electric heat I doubt that you will have to go to a 400 amps service.

extreme

These houses are all electric, ACs are heat pumps 5 ton & 2 ton. I guess what I'm worried about is what if they put in a spa or a pool with a heater? I'm just wanting to cover my self!
With just a pool I'm at 198

Status
Not open for further replies.