Load Center and Panel Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your best bet is to go to google and one at a time enter the two different terms you are questioning about. It will most likely bring you to the different manufacturers who produce these items. Once at the sites and looking in the different product (online versions), you will see the way different manufacturers classify their "panelboards" and "load centers".
Remember that the manufacturer's term of PANELBOARD, and the NEC's term PANELBOARD have two different meanings (definitions).
LOADCENTERS are not defined in the NEC.
Also, UL does not use the term LOADCENTER, UL will refer one (in the index) to PANELBOARDS when referencing LOADCENTERS ((QEUY).

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There is no difference as far as the NEC and UL are concerned.

For the most part loadcenters are cost reduced panelboards targeted to the residential market. However, some manufacturers offer multiple lines of loadcenters and paneboards so there is no single clear difference. While very few loadcenters accept bolt-on breakers, there are many panelboards that accept plug-on ones.

Some common differences are:
Loadcenters
14-1/2 wide x 3-1/2" deep box to fit into stud space
Lots of knockouts for cable entrance
Limited number of options in enclosure type, NEMA 1, 3R, and semiflush
Covers are often dual surface/flush mounted

Panelboards
20" wide x 5-3/4 deep boxes allows more room for conduit entry
Few knockouts, maybe even blank end walls.
Enclosure options may include NEMA 12 and NEMA 4
Covers may be available with two sets of hinges (door-in-door).

templdl

Panelboards do use bolt on breakers in most cases but the ones that I have sold in the have an option for plug-on breakers. I can't recall ever selling one though.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Bolt-on breakers are often called for in specifications but they are not an absolute of all panelboards. For instance, the Square D I-Line breakers do not bolt-on, but it is definitely not a loadcenter. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.