Load Lock out System

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

td1236

Occupation
Electrician
Customer has a battery back up system with a smart controller. The smart controller locks out certain non critical loads in the event of a power outage, via control wire and relay. The voltage from this control wire is 24 volts.

The customer would like 2 heat pumps used for his pool to be locked out when the power goes out. The heat pumps are controlled through a control wire that comes from a 5 volt control board to the heat pump.

Is it possible to interrupt heat pump control wire with a relay?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Customer has a battery back up system with a smart controller. The smart controller locks out certain non critical loads in the event of a power outage, via control wire and relay. The voltage from this control wire is 24 volts.

The customer would like 2 heat pumps used for his pool to be locked out when the power goes out. The heat pumps are controlled through a control wire that comes from a 5 volt control board to the heat pump.

Is it possible to interrupt heat pump control wire with a relay?
Yes. Just break "R" of the secondary on the control xfmr in the heat pump through N/C contacts of a relay powered by the 24 vac. you are talking about

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
What does "R" refer to?
The "hot" side of the secondary of the control xfmr.
Usually on schematics it shown as R and the other side is C.
I havent looked at a HVAC control schematic in a long time so I may be wrong on what they call it now.