Load side GFI question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Brown

Had a GFI that will not reset after tripping in a garage. Two hots and two neutrals are tailed and tied to the load side of the GFI. These are for two bathrooms. Upon inspecting the first bathroom, I found a 3 gang box with one light dimmer, one switch for the exhaust fan and a duplex receptacle. The neutral for the GFI protected receptacle was tied in with all the other lighting neutrals in this box. Shouldn't it have a separate neutral coming from the GFI and not tied in with all other neutrals???
That was my thought. Thanks for any input...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Short answer: Yes, the GFCI load neutral must remain isolated from all other neutrals.
Longer answer: Look at the function of the GFCI. It monitors current flow by comparing flow in the ungrounded conductor to flow in the grounded conductor. By connecting the neutral to another source you have provided an alternate route for the power to flow and setup an in-balance for the GFCI to monitor.

Last edited:

davedottcom

The GFCI Recp. in the garage is not permitted to feed the Bathroom GFCI circuit.

I missed that at first, I was thinking it was a GFCI breaker in the panel.

How old is this house?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Had a GFI that will not reset after tripping in a garage. Two hots and two neutrals are tailed and tied to the load side of the GFI. These are for two bathrooms. Upon inspecting the first bathroom, I found a 3 gang box with one light dimmer, one switch for the exhaust fan and a duplex receptacle. The neutral for the GFI protected receptacle was tied in with all the other lighting neutrals in this box. Shouldn't it have a separate neutral coming from the GFI and not tied in with all other neutrals???

Not only will this cause tripping of the GFCI, it will also cause unwanted electrical magnetic fields in the house (emf's)

ceb58

Is the dimmer and fan on a separate circuit from the GFCI circuit?

Jerry Brown

I think the house is about 20-25 years old. The lady said that she has lived there since 94 and that it trips most often when it rains hard. Making me think that also some outside outlets are getting wet. They used to wire the homes that way down here. GFI in the garage protecting bathroom and outside outlets.
I didn't get a chance to look into what else was being fed by this circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.