load side line side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

2cmqlg4.jpg

I just want to make sure I have a correct understanding of the terms load side and line side.

the picture I drew shows how I understand it to be. Is this right?

Thank You

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Line side would be the supply (or source) and load side would be, well, the load. It's relative to what you are working on or talking about. Looks like you've got it.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I would think that both arrows point to 'load side'. My understanding of line and load would be conductors on either side of a switch or OCPD, not a J-box.

jumper

Line side would be the supply (or source) and load side would be, well, the load. It's relative to what you are working on or talking about. Looks like you've got it.

Agree.

I would think that both arrows point to 'load side'. My understanding of line and load would be conductors on either side of a switch or OCPD, not a J-box.

Agree for the most part.

I generally use the terms in regards to a device: however, I have heard the terms applied to a JB also. Although, more common around here would be "feed in" and "feed out" for a JB.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is a line and load for each disconnect. The line feeds the panel or switch and the load is where it exits to the device being supplied. So the same conductors that leaves a service panel can be the line side feeding a panel or it could be the load side of the service disconnect. It, IMO is all a reference point.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Basically, that really applies to just about every point in an electrical supply system. Only the source has no line side, and the load no load side.

For any given point, the line side refers to the source, or upstream side, and the load side refers to the sink, or downstream side, of that point.

It's similar to the connections between, say, a stereo receiver and a cassette deck. The receiver's 'output' jacks connect to the deck's 'input' jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.