Load side of the service in the attic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I prefer LB's also but you have to be careful with PVC LB's, typically the permitted conductor size in the LB is smaller than the maximum fill of the raceway.
Reducing fittings and larger conduit body are sometimes needed.

Pull/junction box or wireway also would work, if properly sized.

Depending on what POCO will allow might be able to use a myers hub in the top of the enclosure. Some meter mains even have a bolt on hub opening that has isolated compartment from the line side conductor compartment.

prattz99

Occupation
Electrician
LB into meter main, one less elbow and you will thank yourself for that when pulling conductors, especially with PVC conduit.

This is the Meter main that the utility company requires here. I've always had the understanding that the left KO's are only for the line side. Even though we're coming in from the top. I wonder if the inspector would have a problem with coming out the left hand side?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-01 at 20.24.17.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-01 at 20.24.17.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 8

kwired

Electron manager
This is the Meter main that the utility company requires here. I've always had the understanding that the left KO's are only for the line side. Even though we're coming in from the top. I wonder if the inspector would have a problem with coming out the left hand side?
It that barrier toward the left side removeable? some are some aren't. If supply not entering from bottom POCO's here generally don't care if you come out the left.

Some I have used have a channel out the right top for load side conductors, though that still means you have to jump across the supply conduit at some point in your application.

prattz99

Occupation
Electrician
It that barrier toward the left side removeable? some are some aren't. If supply not entering from bottom POCO's here generally don't care if you come out the left.

Some I have used have a channel out the right top for load side conductors, though that still means you have to jump across the supply conduit at some point in your application.

It's not removable. I'd have to check with the power authority and with the inspector. I sure don't want to assume I can pop out the left. As of now the job is on ice until the GC gets another quote for the state. At this point I'm not going to feel sorry if I don't get this job. Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.