Load

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
That only applies if you are uncertain about the terminal ratings. Most everything made in the last 30 years or so should and would have 75 degree rated terminals.
That’s what I expected. Hiwever our company uses old outdated auctioned products many of which do not have nameplates or markings

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
. In a dwelling if you had say 5 rooms of recessed lighting on a single circuit all 5 of those rooms would have to be on simultaneously for 3 or more hours for the load to be continuous. Even if all 5 rooms were on at the same time for 3 or more hours if any of those rooms had a dimmer and was not used at 100% output the load is not continuous.

If the bathrooms lights are on that same circuit have an occupancy sensor then the load is no longer continuous.
I do not know why all the lighting being on 1 circuit for dwellings would be a factor for determining continuous loads

Why can this not be the case for a single branch circuit within a dwelling that is fully loaded to its ampacity (with lights) and on for 3 hours or more?

All the books I ever read and especially when conducting load calculations for dwellings just say not to count lighting and general receptacle loads as non continuous without a 125% ampacity factor applied?

Also I se your logic about occupancy sensors but excluding a circuit from being considered continuous would also depend on traffic and occupancy numbers so the circuit could still be fully loaded and on for more than 3 hours during normal business

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Also I se your logic about occupancy sensors but excluding a circuit from being considered continuous would also depend on traffic and occupancy numbers so the circuit could still be fully loaded and on for more than 3 hours during normal business
If the lights goes off for one second every 3 hours the load is not continuous by the NEC definition.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
If the lights goes off for one second every 3 hours the load is not continuous by the NEC definition.
Okey dokey. So I would only count dwelling lighting and receptacle circuits as continuous only if I could prove lights and receptacles on the same circuit (not how I would wire it) would load up the circuit to its max ampacity for more than 3 hours?

Books made it sound as if dwelling lighting and general use receptacle circuits never get counted as continuous regardless of this being the case?