Local towns do not allow type MC cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimalburn

My company sells a manufactured wiring system made from type MC cable and sells it to retailers across the country. The system is UL listed and complies with NEC article 604 with acceptance for use in areas as described in article 300.22(c). My problem is that some towns have local ordinances that prohibit type MC cable and have refused to allow our system to be installed in these nationwide retail chains. My question is what recourse do I have with these towns? I am under the impression that a local inspector must cite NEC violations if he has an issue, but does this apply?

Thanks in advance.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Local towns do not allow type MC cable

many localities have codes that are more restrictive than the NEC. if they have such a requirement, you have to comply with the local rules.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Jim,
Many areas adopt the NEC with local amendments. These amendments can be more or less restrictive than the NEC itself. The only recourse that you have is to lobby the local unit of government for a code change. The Chicago area has severe restrictions on the use of any cable or flexible wiring method.
Don

charlie

The idea that you need to come to grips with is that the NEC is just a book and means nothing until a jurisdiction adopts it into law. In the process of adopting the NEC, they are making law so they can and do change the NEC to suit themselves. It is actually very few jurisdictions that adopt the NEC in total and without any changes or amendments. :D

southernboys

Don and Charlie whereas I almost agree with you guys Ive got to ask if the code is the minimum how can the local ahj rules be less streneous?

jimwalker

Simple ,they just don't adopt that part of the book.
I for one wish we could all just use the nec as written.We should be able to have one license and set of rules so that we could go to any state and start wiring just like we were at home.

To add to the complications sometimes what end of town your in changes things.Brandon Florida is one of them that almost anything seems to fly

[ June 24, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Don and Charlie whereas I almost agree with you guys Ive got to ask if the code is the minimum how can the local ahj rules be less streneous?
The NEC is the minimum as determined by the NFPA. There is nothing that requires the adopting agency to have the same "minimum".
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

In my state the order of requirements is:
State Electrical Code
NEC

State code can restrict certain products, change rules or correct NEC errors. For example in Art 550 Washington allows a bare equiopment ground for a mobile home, where NEC requires insulated. The NEC requires insulated as thats what the chair of that CMP likes. No techical reason for it at all.
We also have a better definition of kitchen and bedroom, and require GFCI's for all wet locations.

charlie

The NEC requires insulated as thats what the chair of that CMP likes.
Tom, I have to take exception to that. The chair only has one vote and he can't even take part in the discussion without turning over the chair to someone else. Granted, he runs the meeting and has the ability to talk to people outside of the meeting, on breaks, and lunch but he doesn't even get to vote in the straw votes.

If the panel want to accomplish something and the chair wants to redirect or stop it, he or she has no authority to do that. Also keep in mind that most of the panel has directed votes. :D

physis

By Don:

The NEC is the minimum as determined by the NFPA.
Well I've never believed the NEC to be a minimum standard.

It would be fun to start a list of contradictions to the assertion.

AFCI's, Dedicated hood circuit, 240.4(D).

But I'm just being a trouble maker. :D

stud696981

Jimalburn,

I would ask the local towns what codes they adopt such as the NEC, there own, etc. I would then ask the inspector for a reference as to what code says you cannot use MC cable.

From my experience there are lots of inspectors who quote "codes" but these codes do not exsist and turn out to be personal preferences which are not enforceable.

Good luck.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

From the NFPA website:

1895: Five conflicting electrical installation codes are in use in the United States, resulting in controversy and confusion. The need for a national code of rules for electrical construction and operation is urgent.
So now we have 5,000 different local codes that are less confusing?

I guess I'm another troublemaker.

Steve

physis

1895: Five conflicting electrical installation codes are in use in the United States, resulting in controversy and confusion. The need for a national code of rules for electrical construction and operation is urgent.
If that ain't a sales pitch I don't know what is. :D

Edit: I can just imagine all the confusion, people running back and forth, foremen with their hands in the air because they just don't know what to do. And the "controversy", save us from the controversy. :D

[ June 27, 2005, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.