Locating a Disconnect inside a Hoffman Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I would like to install a 240V 60A rotary switch disconnect inside of a Hoffman enclosure. My equipment consists of refrigeration compressors, heaters, blowers, a transformer, and control components. I know that article NEC 404 will apply. Most of 404 is straight forward enough.

I also believe that 110.26 applies, since any maintenance inside the enclosure would involve initially testing voltage on the still hot line side of the disconnect. I am having a hard time interpreting 110.26.

1) Depth. I believe condition 2 applies to my situations, since control components are also located inside the enclosure, some of which are grounded. So 3ft 6 inches? How can there be that much depth inside a Hoffman enclosure?

Exception A pertains to dead front assemblies. It looks like the 2014 code includes switchgear, but I am working off of 2011, so is switch gear not included in the exception or was it assumed in 2011 to be there, and just clarified in the 2014 code? The fuses are definitely not accessable from the back or sidcs.

2) Width of 30in or the width of equipment. Does this mean that there cannot be anything within a 30in window of the equipment, or the width of the equipment whichever is larger? (also, I assume "equipment" refers to only the disconnect enclosure)

3) I know the center of the handle has to be 6'7" from the floor. Not sure how (3) modifies this?

I want to install a rotary disconnect inside a Hoffman enclosure. I want to make sure that my clearances and wire bending spaces and other distances are all up to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.