location for stack dryer outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Hi , Ive never ran the circuit for one of the stack type washer dryer combinations . I am told they use the same 230 v 30 amp plug and cord as a regular dryer and the washer is on the same circuit . My question is what is the best location as far a height and centering on the closet back wall for the dryer outlet . I dont have a unit I can look at , they have to special order that here . I dont know yet if the one piece unit will be used or the stackable type . So if possible I would like to find out the out location for each type if it is different . I just need to stub the wire out for the dry wall now , I will use a surface mounted dryer 4 wire dryer outlet . Thanks

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Even if some washer/dryer combos use a single pigtail, I would still want a 120 Volt circuit there in case the next washer to go in there doesn't use 240 V.

jetlag

Even if some washer/dryer combos use a single pigtail, I would still want a 120 Volt circuit there in case the next washer to go in there doesn't use 240 V.
I have a 120 volt outlet all ready roughed in . I did it because the code requires it for a wash room . The close is 40" wide and 36" deep . I dont know is the code counts that as a wash room or not but your post gave a good reason to have it there .

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi , Ive never ran the circuit for one of the stack type washer dryer combinations . I am told they use the same 230 v 30 amp plug and cord as a regular dryer and the washer is on the same circuit . My question is what is the best location as far a height and centering on the closet back wall for the dryer outlet . I dont have a unit I can look at , they have to special order that here . I dont know yet if the one piece unit will be used or the stackable type . So if possible I would like to find out the out location for each type if it is different . I just need to stub the wire out for the dry wall now , I will use a surface mounted dryer 4 wire dryer outlet . Thanks

I would mount it at about 48". The combo unit that we've installed were made by Bosch and the washer plugged into the dryer and the dryer into the wall.

The 120 volt laundry outlet would be required even if someone will never use it.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have a 120 volt outlet all ready roughed in . I did it because the code requires it for a wash room . The close is 40" wide and 36" deep . I dont know is the code counts that as a wash room or not but your post gave a good reason to have it there .

The verbiage is "Laundry Area" not a wash room. So if it looks like where the laundry appliances will go then it is a "Laundry area" that is subject to NEC requirements.

If I can, I would install the receptacles away from the back of the appliances. In the case of future service they are easily accessible and I don't have to pull the appliances out.

jetlag

I would mount it at about 48". The combo unit that we've installed were made by Bosch and the washer plugged into the dryer and the dryer into the wall.

The 120 volt laundry outlet would be required even if someone will never use it.

At 40" wide closet a person could reach beside the 27 " wide unit and plug an iron in to an ironing board near the closet door .

jetlag

The verbiage is "Laundry Area" not a wash room. So if it looks like where the laundry appliances will go then it is a "Laundry area" that is subject to NEC requirements.

If I can, I would install the receptacles away from the back of the appliances. In the case of future service they are easily accessible and I don't have to pull the appliances out.

Yes I believe laundry area is the wording they use . I already have the 120 out on the side wall do you think the dryer cord would stlll reach on the side wall up 48 " ?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Yes I believe laundry area is the wording they use . I already have the 120 out on the side wall do you think the dryer cord would stlll reach on the side wall up 48 " ?

The cords are usually 72". So..... It may. You are on the job site, you decide.

JFletcher

Iirc, there will be 2 plugs: the 30A dryer and the washer receptacle. afaik, the cords are not connected by the stack unit into one that would utilize the 30A 4 wire dryer recep.

jetlag

Iirc, there will be 2 plugs: the 30A dryer and the washer receptacle. afaik, the cords are not connected by the stack unit into one that would utilize the 30A 4 wire dryer recep.

There are those that will disagree with that , some are connected inside and some have a 120 v outlet on the back of the dryer for the washer . like you say there could be some that require both outlets .

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
jetlag said:
I dont have a unit I can look at , they have to special order that here .

You might not, but you certainly could get the manufacturer and model then go on line to their site and download the installation instructions. Done that many times for the same reason as you.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are those that will disagree with that , some are connected inside and some have a 120 v outlet on the back of the dryer for the washer . like you say there could be some that require both outlets .

We just installed over 700 stackable Bosch units in an apartment building and the washer plugs into the back of the dryer, the dryer plugs into the 30 amp, 240 volt, 4wire receptacle in the wall.

micabay

Appliance Tech
Occupation
Appliance Tech
44" from the floor and 6" from the right side of the dryer would be best, just to the right of where the vent will be hooking up. That way you can take off the mid panel and unplug the unit without moving it. This won't matter if you have a two piece stackable units put in place. IE a front loading washer with a kit that you can stack a dryer on top.
Drew
One of the Appliance guys.

jetlag

You might not, but you certainly could get the manufacturer and model then go on line to their site and download the installation instructions. Done that many times for the same reason as you.

-Hal
Thats good idea but I need to do the rough in now and I have no idea which unit the buyer will get

jetlag

We just installed over 700 stackable Bosch units in an apartment building and the washer plugs into the back of the dryer, the dryer plugs into the 30 amp, 240 volt, 4wire receptacle in the wall.
thanks for reply , I think the stackables are that way but the one piece units have the connection for the washer inside . I was watching a video on youtube and there were changing the the stackable from 2 separate units into the stack and there were manually making a connection inside the dryer for the washer , I assume they have a connection block inside a panel on the dryer on some of those

Status
Not open for further replies.