location of disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsva@aol.com

We have a situation where a 480v/3ph machine mounted disconnect was mounted on the side of the enclosure that it is feeding. The front door is not interlocked with the disconnect and when the front door is opened, you can't see the disconnect. Is this a violation and what is the reference in the NEC pertaining to this?
Please.

dcsva@aol.com

Re: location of disconnect

430-102(a) is the only thing I can find so far.
If the door is closed, you can see it.
If the door is open, you can't.
I feel this is a judgement call.
I'm going to tell them to move the disconnect to the other side of the enclosure so that it is always in sight. Should only take 1/2 hour.

I was just looking to see if anyone had ever been asked this before and how they handled it.

tom ogryski

In my mind, the phrase "in sight from the controller" means in sight from any point of the controllers enclosure. Otherwise, there would be very few, if any, disconnects that were in sight of any controller.

russ

I agree with Tom.

In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this chapter specifies that one equipment shall be "in sight from," "within sight from," or "within sight," etc., and so forth of another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 50 ft (15 m) distant from the other.

pwhite

see NFPA 79 - electrical standard for industrial machiery & also ul508A.

if this is an industrial control panel - NFPA 79
page 79-14 section 7.8 (mounting) and 7.9 (interlocking) discuss the particulars.
7.9 - each disconnecting means shall be mechannically or electrically interlocked, or both, eith the control enclosure doors. interlocking shall be reactivated automatically when panel doors are closed.

there are 4 lengthy exceptions. e-mail me and i will fax you the page.

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.