Location of Overcurrent Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ryding

Section 240.24 (A) (4) allows for overcurrent devices to be more than 6'-7" above the floor if adjacent to the equipment they supply. I have an installation of (3) battery cabinets that feed an adjacent (back to back) UPS. In turn this UPS feeds a Distribution Panel. From factory, battery cabinet ckt brk is 6"-6-3/4" to center of handle. I have mounted all equipment on a "skid" of 6" steel. Gear will flush out when mounted to front side of skid. Now overcurrent breaker is at 7'-3/4". Does not 240.24 (A) (4) allow for this installation... since UPS (utilization equipment) is adjacent ?? (note; handbook indicates you could use a ladder).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the gear is on the skid but will face outward so you will be standing on the floor to operate the OCPD's?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO since the equipment faces out and is designed to be accessed from the floor then the maximum breaker height measurement would also be from the floor.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
This is odd. Because if the equipment was side by side, you’d be ok due to the clauses in 240.24 like you mentioned. I would say back to back is not equal to adjacent, but that’s a tough one to say “violation” to. How much better is adjacent vs back to back for this specific reasoning that one is ok and one is not when we’re only talking about the handle height...

Ed Ryding

Merriam-Webster offers a definition of adjacent as - "having a common border" or "not distant". I believe that criteria is met. The NEC offers the description of Utilization Equipment as "equipment that utilizes electrical energy". Isn't that what the UPS is doing from the battery cabinet ? Where I differ from the Authority having jurisdiction is that the ""piece of equipment" (battery cabinet) met code from factory. As soon as we put this equipment on a skid it became higher than 6'-7' to center of disconnect. (Fused disconnects get mounted in ceilings all the time. Isn't that a physical microcosm of my installation ?) I go back to 240.24(A)(4) ... and thank you for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.