Location of switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle D

I had a customer ask a question today I could not find in the Code book. He wanted to know the farthest distance a switch could be from an entrance to a room that controls the light in that room. I have looked, but have not found. I keep find the wording of 'customary wall switch location.' The reason he asked was during his last remodel, the electrician (not us!) installed a switch 4 feet from the entrance.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.:)

The NEC does not require the switch to be located at the entrance to a room. In fact there is no requirement that the switch be located in the room at all.

210.70(A)(2)(c) is the only section that specifies a location of a switch and that section requires a switch at each floor level and landing with an entryway for a stairway.

Now some energy codes do require the switch to be located within the space that the switch controls.

Chris

stickboy1375

I enjoy using the circuit breakers in the panel, they can be an annoyance when going to bed, but it was so much cheaper than using toggles all over the house... :)

dibloafer

We have been trained to put light switches within 1/2 an arms reach from the non-hinged door jamb just as a common sense thing. It's pretty funny that the NEC is all about saftey, but doesn't care if you walk across a pitch black room to turn on a light. I also realize that the NEC is only concerned with the saftey regaurding electrical installations. The book is thick enough. Interesting topic:thumbsup:

stickboy1375

We have been trained to put light switches within 1/2 an arms reach from the non-hinged door jamb just as a common sense thing. It's pretty funny that the NEC is all about saftey, but doesn't care if you walk across a pitch black room to turn on a light. I also realize that the NEC is only concerned with the saftey regaurding electrical installations. The book is thick enough. Interesting topic:thumbsup:

Even if a switch was required, who is going to mandate an actual light bulb be installed? :) And start un training. ;)

electricblue

Occupation
EC
Had a guy ask me y my garbage disp switch was so close to the disposal. I said no reason. He said in New York it had to be 6'. So you couldn't turn it on with your hand in the disp. Makes sense....

dibloafer

Even if a switch was required, who is going to mandate an actual light bulb be installed? :) And start un training. ;)

so you don't care about, or put switches in the rooms simply because it isn't required? and no, I don't think anyone should mandate putting bulbs in fixtures, let's not be silly. I am not ashamed of my training, and don't see any reason to un-train. I think it's very sensible, practical, and safe to have switch location(in dwellings) possibly become part of the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's pretty funny that the NEC is all about safety, but doesn't care if you walk across a pitch black room to turn on a light.

Yes, if the NEC cared about such things then a room with multiple entrances would require 3 way or 4 way switches at each entrance.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum.:)

The NEC does not require the switch to be located at the entrance to a room. In fact there is no requirement that the switch be located in the room at all.

210.70(A)(2)(c) is the only section that specifies a location of a switch and that section requires a switch at each floor level and landing with an entryway for a stairway.

Now some energy codes do require the switch to be located within the space that the switch controls.

Chris

It might pay to look at 210.70(A)(3) {'08} also, as there are a couple of requirements there, if applicable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... I think it's very sensible, practical, and safe to have switch location(in dwellings) possibly become part of the NEC.
You have some time to work up a proposal for the 2017 code. They are due at the NFPA on the first Friday of November 2014.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
and it may be adopted, but, FWIW, I submitted the same suggestion a few years back and the CMP decided it was a design issue and not a NEC issue.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't get me going on this issue. I had a fight over this issue with my local inspector. He still doesn't believe I could put the switch on another floor level if I wanted. IMO, this should be a building code issue not an electrical code.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
so you don't care about, or put switches in the rooms simply because it isn't required? and no, I don't think anyone should mandate putting bulbs in fixtures, let's not be silly. I am not ashamed of my training, and don't see any reason to un-train. I think it's very sensible, practical, and safe to have switch location(in dwellings) possibly become part of the NEC.
Forget the lamps, (bulbs) the NEC only requires illumination for very few areas.

All you need is a switch controlled outlet.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Don't get me going on this issue. I had a fight over this issue with my local inspector. He still doesn't believe I could put the switch on another floor level if I wanted. IMO, this should be a building code issue not an electrical code.

I agree 100% Dennis. This is a perfect example of something that should be in the Building codes, if at all. Switches inside, switches outside, ceiling sensors, breakers as switches, pilot light switches, remote switches, override switches. This is all up to the State and how they want to dictate their safety and energy codes, or up to the customer on how they want to control the loads.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

I agree 100% Dennis. This is a perfect example of something that should be in the Building codes, if at all. Switches inside, switches outside, ceiling sensors, breakers as switches, pilot light switches, remote switches, override switches. This is all up to the State and how they want to dictate their safety and energy codes, or up to the customer on how they want to control the loads.

And what part of this is NOT clear?

210.70(A)(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch?controlled
lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room
and bathroom.

HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Mike, that article is telling us that the lighting outlet has to be in the room. It does not give us a required location for the switch. I can meet the letter of the law by putting all light switches in the basement, so that the owner would have to go downstairs to turn on the light in the upstairs bathroom. Very bad design? Yes. Code violation? No.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And what part of this is NOT clear?

210.70(A)(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch?controlled
lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room
and bathroom.

HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

The switch controlled light must be in the room not the switch. It is perfectly clear to me. :D

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Mike, that article is telling us that the lighting outlet has to be in the room. It does not give us a required location for the switch. I can meet the letter of the law by putting all light switches in the basement, so that the owner would have to go downstairs to turn on the light in the upstairs bathroom. Very bad design? Yes. Code violation? No.

The switch controlled light must be in the room not the switch. It is perfectly clear to me. :D

I see where you guys are going but that is not how I read it.

At least one wall (switch?controlled
lighting) outlet

So then it has to be a switched "wall" receptacle or a sconce!

It means a switch on the wall for lighting purposes.

Again if I am wrong what is required in the room on the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.