lock breaker on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

My question is do they make any kind of lock out device that is designed to lock the breaker on? We have very important servers that the IT manager has requested physically be locked on if possible. I have never seen or used anything like this so any info or ideas would be helpful.
I am thinking that if there was any type of short than the breaker would trip internally, but what about if there was some type of emergency that required you to shut the breaker off? Assuming there is a code compliant way to achieve what i am trying to do.

iwire

Staff member
Most supply houses will have them in stock, you want to tell them what brand and type breakers you want the lock on handles for and they should have them or be able to get them.

They often come in bags of five or so.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
And yes, when a breaker trips, the handle is essentially disconnected, the concept is called being "Trip Free", meaning the breaker trips regardless of what you do with the handle. That's why you must move the handle into the fully Off position and then back to On to reset it. Moving it to Off re-engages the handle with the operating mechanism.

Re: "emergency" operation. A FEEDER circuit breaker is NOT considered to be an emergency disconnect, it is a circuit protective device. So there is nothing in the code preventing one from locking it on (assuming it's "trip free" and I don't know of any that are not). Service Entrance labeled breakers however cannot be locked on (unless something has changed that I am unaware of). They must be available for the Fire Dept. to shut down power in a structure. That's also what's behind the "six hand rule" and you are not allowed to thwart that for SE devices.

For most mfrs, the padlock device is the same for locking Off or On, the difference is in how you mount it and/or where you put the padlock.

But if you are uncomfortable with having an actual lock there is an alternative called a "Handle Blocking Device". It still prevents the breaker from being easily turned Off but there is no padlock provision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.