Lock nut installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Lock nuts for EMT conduit fittings have tabs that are beveled as a means to install them.

The two bevels form part of a trapezoid if viewed from the end. Do you install the short end of the trapezoid to the inside or the outside?

I install mine 'backwards' compared to most everyone else. I have the short side of the trapezoid in contact with the box. It makes the bevel an aid instead of a hindrance when using the old screwdriver / hammer method to get them on and off.

iwire

Staff member
Then I hope your cleaning the paint off the enclosure first as IMO your defeating the design of the fitting that ensures grounding.

See 250.12.

charlietuna

They are UL listed and come pre assembled for that reason -- grounding is our most important issue here, not worrying about removing an installation. Next we'll be leaving the set screws loose for disassembly. I come across too many loose locknuts in the field today--and that is a life threatening issue...

480sparky

It works both ways.

Check out this tool: I want a couple!!

http://www.premiertool.com/id77.htm

One tool for just ?" locknuts? I have one that will do locknuts up to 4"

480.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do you install the short end of the trapezoid to the inside or the outside?
The short side away from the box. I've been doing it that way for years; most people don't notice it at all.

I install mine 'backwards' compared to most everyone else. I have the short side of the trapezoid in contact with the box. It makes the bevel an aid instead of a hindrance when using the old screwdriver / hammer method to get them on and off.
That's weird. To me, the screwdriver blade hits squarely against the flat of the bevel with the longer side against the box.

iaov

I actually own a lock ring tool. I think its made by Klien, It works well up to 2". After that I have a tool that looks like Kens. My question also. Why would you want them to be easily removed?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I actually own a lock ring tool. I think its made by Klien, It works well up to 2". After that I have a tool that looks like Kens. My question also. Why would you want them to be easily removed?

Is this better?

Lock nuts for EMT conduit fittings have tabs that are beveled as a means to install them.

The two bevels form part of a trapezoid if viewed from the end. Do you install the short end of the trapezoid to the inside or the outside?

I install mine 'backwards' compared to most everyone else. I have the short side of the trapezoid in contact with the box. It makes the bevel an aid instead of a hindrance when using the old screwdriver / hammer method to put them on.

izak

wow it is amazing how many people want to complain about so many different things that the OP wasnt asking about

i understand about the trapeziod and the smaller side holding better.
it seems as if the locknut is almost 'cupped' in that direction and they hold better
they DO hold better

less surface area creates a stronger bite

and anyone, please show me where UL actually CARES which side of a Regal/Bridgeport-style EMT lockut is installed towards the box

benaround

Why are you tightening the locknuts in the box onto the connector, instead of tightening the connector into the locknut?:-?

I have read on this Forum some time ago, and can't remember the referance, that the

locknut needs to be spun in order to dig into the metal to assure a good connection. By

just turning the fitting into the locknut, the locknut can not do what it was designed to do.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
wow it is amazing how many people want to complain about so many different things that the OP wasnt asking about

Thanks much!

But I knew what I was getting into when I made my post.

No matter, it is nice to know the different ways and different reasons we do the things we do. Plus I always seem to learn something watching as the foray ensues.

Don't tell anyone, but my next question concerns green grounding screws. Do you have to buy them green or can you buy them plain and color them yourself?

Anyway, back to our lock nut program, already in progress....

Status
Not open for further replies.