log house

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdh

this is my first,what is the best type single, double, triple and quad boxs to go back into the logs other than cutting the nail on type supports off of say the carlon boxs and putting screws through the back of them and still be nec approved?

Thanks
MDH

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: log house

I've had the good fortune to avoid log homes. :)

I think the smart-boxes would be really sweet in this application.

Are the carpenters going to bevel the face of the logs to flatten out where the cover plates touch? I've seen some horrific results of not beveling. :(

mdh

George
Yes the carpenter is doing the routing out of the logs and BTW the logs are flat inside and beveled on the outside,that helps alot

Thanks again
MDH

rminnick

I wire a lot of log houses in my time. The first thing is to ask your inspector their choice of boxes. I have done it with carlon boxes as you have asked. I also were made to put in metal wallcase boxes. The key is to get the log cut out deep enough, especially if you have a lot of switching. Also, for every box that you have in a gangable box,(2 gang, 3 gang) you need a one inch hole for each box, especailly for switching. I have the carpenter drill the logs as they stack them down and up. Then I take a fish thru them to clear all the chips out.

al

We use gangable 3x2 switch boxes with 2 ko's in the back of each box, with 6623 clamps on the wires. We put all the clamps on and then place the box in the wall. Tried the smart boxes but you need to much space to get the cables in. Besides smart boxes are made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.