Long Lighting Run - Voltage Drop

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A member present a situation to which I need input.

Assume a scenario with 40 Ballard lights along a walkway each light drawing 45 watts,
It's 800 ft from panel to the 1st light and 800 additional feet the last light.
How do you address voltage drop ??
Assuming 208 volt if the entire load was at 800' it would require a #8 to maintain a 5% drop. Likewise if the entire load was at 1600' it would require a #4.
How do address voltage drop as the load decreases.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think the most accurate way would be to calculate each 20' span, starting at the load end.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
A member present a situation to which I need input.

Assume a scenario with 40 Ballard lights along a walkway each light drawing 45 watts,
It's 800 ft from panel to the 1st light and 800 additional feet the last light.
How do you address voltage drop ??
Short answer: for a 2-wire circuit, only one wire sized used the entire length, and all loads the same, just average the distances from the source to the fixtures, and then pretend all 40 fixtures are at that average distance.

Long answer below.

Cheers, Wayne

You haven't specified the wiring configuration so I'll assume a single 2-wire circuit. Using a 3-wire (split phase, L-N loads, or 3 phase, L-L loads) or 4-wire (3 phase, L-N loads) is an interesting but more complicated version of the problem.

You can, as has been suggested, always just divide the circuit in individual lengths where the current is constant and then calculate the voltage drop on each piece separately.

For the case where only a single wire size is used throughout, you can simplify that into one calculation in a couple different ways. Since the fixtures are all the same, the simplest is probably just to add up the distance from the source to each fixture and apply the voltage drop formula for a single fixture at that combined distance. [If each fixture current were different, then you could still just add up for every fixture its current times its distance from the source, and use that sum as I * D in your voltage drop formula.]

If your fixtures equally spaced, the sum of the distances is just the average distance times the number of fixtures. So 40 fixtures * (800' + 1600') / 2 = 40 fixtures * 1200' = 48,000 fixture-feet. That would mean you can do one voltage drop calculation with the using formula, using a single 45W fixture at 48,000' of 1-way circuit length. Equivalently (40) 45W fixtures all at the average distance away, or 1,200', if that point of view is more appealing.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The entire load is only (40*(45/208)) 8.65a, about 0.216a each, so there won't be a lot of voltage drop.

You could avoid math and divide it into ten-light groups. #14 to the last ten, #12 to the next ten plus the last ten, #10 to the next ten plus the last twenty, #8 to the first ten and the rest, and #6 for a long home run.

Or do the method for equal voltage drop by running one conductor to the far end of the string.