Long section requiring nail plates

JoeNorm

Every once in awhile I have to route out wood framing to make a channel to put wires in. Usually in-between a door and a window where there're is a stud buildup. I then have to nail plate the whole section. Is there a product listed for this application? I have been creative in the past and used metal strapping but most of the time it's only sold with a lot of small holes in it for nailing.

Any suggestions?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Every once in awhile I have to route out wood framing to make a channel to put wires in. Usually in-between a door and a window where there're is a stud buildup. I then have to nail plate the whole section. Is there a product listed for this application? I have been creative in the past and used metal strapping but most of the time it's only sold with a lot of small holes in it for nailing.

Any suggestions?
I’ve gotten same flat iron from hardware and notched in the wood so it’s flush you can cut to what you want.
I may be putting my foot in my mouth but your plates don’t need to be listed

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They make long nail plates like what plumbers use. If these are not long enough, you could use more than one. You could also get some metal that is the same thickness as a nail plate and have a metal shop cut them for you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For long ones I use the plumber nail plates. If unlisted they are required to be at least 1/16" of an inch thick, if they're listed then they can be thinner.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Is EMT at least 1/16" thick? I've routed out for boxes before and just used EMT to sleeve the Romex. They passed R/I inspection so I figured it was ok.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is EMT at least 1/16" thick? I've routed out for boxes before and just used EMT to sleeve the Romex. They passed R/I inspection so I figured it was ok.
That works too. Southwire now makes them for you.

:giggle:

01200Wx1200H

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
EMT can be run through the studs without protection so it cannot be used for protection?

300.4(A)(1)Exception No. 1: Steel plates shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
EMT can be run through the studs without protection so it cannot be used for protection?
So......EMT is not at least 1/16" in thickness, but the NEC states in the exception that steel plates are NOT required to protect it???? So if I run EMT down a routed wall, is this ok? I'm confused here.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So......EMT is not at least 1/16" in thickness, but the NEC states in the exception that steel plates are NOT required to protect it???? So if I run EMT down a routed wall, is this ok? I'm confused here.
Yes EMT can be run in holes and notches in a wood stud less than 1.25" from the stud face without protection. The question is if you use a piece of EMT for protection of another wiring method like NM cable can it be used to protect the NM against nail penetration being that it is less than 1/16" thick? Logically it could but when you mix logic and the NEC, look out.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They make long nail plates like what plumbers use. If these are not long enough, you could use more than one. You could also get some metal that is the same thickness as a nail plate and have a metal shop cut them for you.
You can have a sheet metal shop cut you up some from 1 16 flat stock.
Where have I heard that? :unsure:
:p

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Also EMT probably has a pretty well known strength whereas unlisted sheet metal might be milder steel that's more easily penetrable.