Looking For Classroom Additions for a Better Learning Environment

Dad_Bod_Don

Occupation
Electrical Apprenticeship Instructor
I'm an Instructor for an electrical apprenticeship program. I want to find older electrical and eventually get a copy/reprint of all the NEC codebooks. Have any of you found a place to get the codebooks? Also, what have you guys done to find older electrical without breaking the bank. Any Suggestions help. I want my students to be able to compare what things are like now, to how it used to be.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

If by "older electrical" you mean obsolete residential equipment and installations, see if you can find people who renovate older homes. Those with knob-and-tube wiring is a good place to start.

Dad_Bod_Don

Occupation
Welcome to the forum.

If by "older electrical" you mean obsolete residential equipment and installations, see if you can find people who renovate older homes. Those with knob-and-tube wiring is a good place to start.
Thank you, and yes. Obsolete equipment and not just purely residential. I'm also trying to find antique tools of the trade. Like I have a megger that was last calibrated in 1970. I've been going to estate sales trying to find stuff as well.

Dad_Bod_Don

Occupation
You can get a start on your archive by having a look here for more information.

I saw the 1920 one and that was nice. I'm more looking for physical reprints or books that a student can pick up or visually see the difference in size compared to what they are using now.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
That reminds me of my Inside Wiremans exam at IBEW Local 11. Part of the exam was a large board of vintage electrical items that had to be identified.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I have a complete collection back to 1935, thanks to forum members. And a nearly complete collection back to 1911, I am only missing 2-3 books. Code books prior to 1911 are scanned and available for free online. I have been known to loan out my books to well known and trusted forum members for the cost of insured shipping. If there is something your looking for in particular send me a PM. Also if you ever get up to Mass the NFPA library is worth a visit.

Dad_Bod_Don

Occupation
I have a complete collection back to 1935, thanks to forum members. And a nearly complete collection back to 1911, I am only missing 2-3 books. Code books prior to 1911 are scanned and available for free online. I have been known to loan out my books to well known and trusted forum members for the cost of insured shipping. If there is something your looking for in particular send me a PM. Also if you ever get up to Mass the NFPA library is worth a visit.
That is my goal, to get the collection myself so my students will be able to see them. How did you go about collecting them?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
How did you go about collecting them?
Word gets out and luck. I have been at it over 15 years. A engineer at a local POCO that retired, retired inspectors and instructors, a few forum members on here have helped, the owner of a local mom and pop supply house (remember those?). My sister whom is a fleamarket hound. Owner of a used bookstore (now gone).