Looking for old switch replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

Hi there.

I need to find a replacement for an old, all brass or possibly bronze toggle switch (porcelain body). These were installed in a large estate and some have gone bad. They were manufactured by Arrow. After looking at one, I noticed that the yoke and brass toggle is actually connected to the rocker contacts, so by rights and for safety, they should all get changed out (I'm guessing they were originally used to switch the neutral in a knob and tube installation - at least on the single pole version).

The owner is not interested in any different kind of switch, so I'm hoping that one of you will know if a reproduction is available for them.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
PetrosA said:
Hi there.

I need to find a replacement for an old, all brass or possibly bronze toggle switch (porcelain body). These were installed in a large estate and some have gone bad. They were manufactured by Arrow. After looking at one, I noticed that the yoke and brass toggle is actually connected to the rocker contacts, so by rights and for safety, they should all get changed out (I'm guessing they were originally used to switch the neutral in a knob and tube installation - at least on the single pole version).

The owner is not interested in any different kind of switch, so I'm hoping that one of you will know if a reproduction is available for them.Peter

Thanks in advance!

Do you mean snap switch or toggle switch. These are toggle switches

TOGGLE%20SWITCH%20SPDT%20TO61-384%20BLUE.jpg

PetrosA

I mean toggle. It looks almost exactly like the modern one you have pictured, but made of brass, has a yoke and porcelain body like push switches and mounts in a wallcase. I should have a photo of one this evening.

mdshunk

PetrosA said:
I mean toggle. It looks almost exactly like the modern one you have pictured, but made of brass, has a yoke and porcelain body like push switches and mounts in a wallcase. I should have a photo of one this evening.
This is going to sound strange, but I remember those gold colored toggle switches being in the NuTone catalog when I was a teenager. In there with the NuTone built-in bathroom scales and the NuTone built in countertop mixer.

electricmanscott

mdshunk said:
This is going to sound strange, but I remember those gold colored toggle switches being in the NuTone catalog when I was a teenager. In there with the NuTone built-in bathroom scales and the NuTone built in countertop mixer.

Man, how old are you?

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
peter d said:
You're right, that does sound very strange. :)
Hey...that Nutone catalog was good reading! My dad was a wholesale hardware salesman...there was always good stuff to read at home...especially locks and fire door hardware. Even had a Grainger catalog to thumb through on those cold winter days back in the 70's.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
PetrosA said:
That's the switch. . . Thanks.
:smile: You're welcome.

That photo is of the only one I've ever run into (a lot of my work has been late 1800s - early 1900s homes). The switch was salvaged by a friend and given to me as a curiosity.

I've never tried to source a replacement that keeps the look and feel, but of the sources I've used over the decades, I don't recall seeing anything like this Arrow switch still available.

TwinCitySparky

PetrosA said:
Hi there.

The owner is not interested in any different kind of switch, so I'm hoping that one of you will know if a reproduction is available for them.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

This will probably be the thread killer but, If the H/O will not consider anything else, I would consider rebuilding the switches with either a low voltage control interface or "line carrier" signal controls. There are option$.:grin:

Just not exactly what the homeowner thinks. But he could keep those old switches.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.