Looking for small single phase load center (not 120/240V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenspark1

Hi. I'm running a feeder 300' out to a small hut that will have a couple of small circuits (lights, receptacle, equipment). The feeder will be 30A so I just need a small load center in the hut. Most of what I see is 120/240V which would require a 3rd CCC, but I'd rather just use a 2W feeder. Anyone know of a 120V load center for this application, or can you hotwire a 120/240 panel for use with only one phase? :)

paul

You can get these in any flavor at the Big Orange or Big Blue all day long. Just jumper A and B phase together and label accordingly.

0005af5d-d7e7-4ffc-ad31-75d757d819bb_400.jpg

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Well yes, that would work, but then I have to buy a larger panel with more poles. I was hoping to use a small 6-8 pole load center.

I've seen more than one with a jumper between the two incoming lugs. Years back I had an AHJ tell me I couldn't do that - the lugs were only rated for one conductor. I pointed out the lugs would accept a stranded #2 and the two #10s were pretty similar. He asured me that did not worry him one bit. I wire nutted the incoming #10 to two #10 jumpers - one to each panel lug. He liked that.

ice

greenspark1

@ice, I like the wire nut/splice solution :)

Jumpering and labeling works for me, we'll see what the AHJ says. It'd be nice if the panels came with a solid jumper for this purpose. Thanks for the feedback!

growler

Hi. I'm running a feeder 300' out to a small hut that will have a couple of small circuits (lights, receptacle, equipment). The feeder will be 30A so I just need a small load center in the hut. Most of what I see is 120/240V which would require a 3rd CCC, but I'd rather just use a 2W feeder. Anyone know of a 120V load center for this application, or can you hotwire a 120/240 panel for use with only one phase? :)

Well yes, that would work, but then I have to buy a larger panel with more poles. I was hoping to use a small 6-8 pole load center.

300 ft ? When you run out that far you would probable come out better by running 240V with a 3 wire feeder to reduce voltage drop.

greenspark1

300 ft ? When you run out that far you would probable come out better by running 240V with a 3 wire feeder to reduce voltage drop.

Hmmm, good thought, but I only have 120V loads. You're proposing balancing the loads between the two phases so you get 0 neutral current and can use 240V in the Vdrop calc?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Square D has custom order units. However, your best option is a wire nut or Polaris splitting the incomer to the 2 lugs. Plus a label that's says "120 volts only, No MWBC".

Status
Not open for further replies.