Looking for work.

rmancia33

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I'm a 24 year old in Miami, Florida. I am currently in technical school to become an electrician and I'm almost done. I want to leave Florida and work as an apprentice to get better experience and not have to pay the absurd amount of rent here. What is a good state to start off as an apprentice in?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Anywhere but Florida will pay better but honestly miami might pay for good workers vs rural areas. The south tops out in the 20s PH but NE and west coast pay well. This comes with a trade off of higher living expenses.

I'd say if you've only done trade school you're far from knowing what electrical is like and I'd worry if you move you might not like the move if your new employer doesn't treat you well or if you end up not liking the work. My point being see if you can work in your home town area and see if you even like it before making a major life decision like a move.

KSH

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Hello Ramsy,
Have you tried Massachusetts? My husband's company is hiring. We are a small company dedicated to quality work and punctuality. If you are interested please feel free to reach out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Literally what the general foreman always says when people call.
Unfortunately this is true. I had a guy apply one morning completely toasted so I told him to go home and get clean for a couple of days. Well that afternoon he came back and I asked him if he was joking. As it turned out he didn't even know he had applied that morning so I thought about some of the upper management and called HR and told them I had a prime candidate for a company vice president.