Looks like GA home builder's assoc. is on the amendment bandwagon now

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I had a CE class tonight, and the instructor is on an NEC CMP and an advisor to the state codes committee. He said the home builder's assoc. is really pushing to have an amendment to take the AFCI and tamper-resistant recep requirement out of the code. We had a GC who came to the class who fussed the whole time about how much the price of the TR receps were going to add to the cost of the house; the instructor told him it'll probably add less than $100 to the cost. Then it was on to the afci requirement. The GC said the cost was going to push the cost of the house so high, he was afraid people couldn't get financing?!?!? THEN, he said the house won't appraise for what he spent on it because "the appraiser isn't going to know what I had to pay for those breakers." I spoke up that I was in favor of them, and it seems I was the only person in the room who was. The other EC's were all complaining about the price of them too. Anyway, the instructor has a meeting tomorrow morning w/ the code committee to make a recommendation. When he was giving me my certificate, i said "you're going to tell them to take the code as is, right?" He said all except for one amendment that related to the poco's having to get easements to come onto property for servicing site lights or something to that effect. I wasn't surprised at the comments from the GC, but was really shocked that no other electrician spoke up in favor of the new requirements. It sorta pisses me off that the GC's can manipulate the codes of our industry w/o any real knowledge of our trade.

Oh man .,, sound like they allready follow the State of Ohio now .,,

They seems don't understand the cost with the TR and AFCI reqirement but however i know it willbe pretty high but it will come down some way but i can't really confirmed on the price.

I don't know how many more states will follow the suit like this IMO i think it will get pretty ugly with the code change.

Merci,Marc

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I seem to recall my salesman saying the TR receps were going to be $0.99 a piece, and the combo AFCI's are going to be around $34-$38.

I recalled i did see one TR verison i think about a buck and half but that is for resdentinal verison but the GFCI TR verison i think about 15 buck or so.

but i only got few of them and been try it out seems they are allright to me.

The combo AFCI type i did saw one on big box store allready have one on the shelf.
Even thru our state is not reqired the combo or AFCI [ we left it as optional ] but next code change i just can't confirmed but there are some change along the way but once they get the info update i will know more later.

[ yeah we are still on Oh Nickel cycle ]

Merci,Marc

STCEC&M

Wish you could have asked the GC how he's going to get paid the additional $4000-6000k for the state required GC license and bonding.

I imagine the insurance rates for GA will rise if the state board exempts the AFCI code.

Status
Not open for further replies.