loop tap tie switch - Dominion Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

__dan

Banned
Dominion will give you a better explanation but sometimes the utility primary circuit is a loop that can be fed from either end, a dual fed single circuit with an open switch at some point in the loop. I would assume one switch open in the loop normally but that may not be the case.

For troubleshooting, the utility may close one switch and open another to isolate sections or locations they want to work on, keeping the circuit live with a feed from both ends and a selectable open along the path. Tap point with a switch is self explanatory at that point.

A double fed loop is not a dual primary feed, not even close. Dual primary has a second redundant primary that is statistically isolated from outages on the other feed.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is the tap configured so that it can connect to either side of the tie switch, or does the customer just take his chances when POCO opens the switch?

RossS

Occupation
Electrical engineer
Here's a snip of what I have...

Based on what you're saying, I'm thinking this isn't something that the fit up service can tie to; Dominion is going to have to place a step down xfmr for that.

Does that sound right?

Attachments

• dom pwr loop tap tie sw.JPG
    dom pwr loop tap tie sw.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1

RossS

Occupation
Electrical engineer
finger pointing all around

finger pointing all around

Well, the Civil's expediter says the terminology was provided by Dominion Power while Dominion Power says they have no idea where the terminology came from.

So I'm left with no real answers.

But based on comments here and other discussions using similar terms in not too dissimilar situations, my conclusion is that it is high voltage, not available as a customer point of connection, and that Dominion Power will have to set a transformer off of it to provide consumer scale voltage. And if I'm wrong, maybe Dominion Power will be gracious enough to explain it when they get the connection request. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.