Lost electricity in Houston Hurricane backfeeding helped 1/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBa

New User
Occupation
worker
Hi,

My mother got a 4Kw generator and generator to dryer cable M to M during the emergency last week. We need to understand the house 120V circuits. We were able to turn the main off and backfeed via the dryer plug, however 2/3 rd of the house still didn't have power. Why is this?

The generator had capacity and didn't stall. I have a square d 100 A main panel outside the house for everything.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
451462083_2879682235528281_7059405641745774680_n.png
450358666_866080368748123_3687450429603141612_n.png

Paul

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. If you are not an electrician, we are not permitted to assist you in performing your own electrical installation or maintenance work.

If installing stuff is not your occupation, then we can’t help you install stuff. You would have had to agree with that rule during the process of registering on the forum.

The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the dozens of other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask. Mike doesn’t want anyone to get injured by any incidents related to electrical installations. But he also doesn’t want to be sued by the injured party’s relatives on the basis of him not telling you enough to keep you safe.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Btw, adding a cord without the proper genertor intelock can be dangerous. I would advise you to get this install done properly. Go to diychatroom.com for help

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And a note of special concern is the "widow maker" cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.