Lost neutral question

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
I was watching one of Mikes videos, where I believe he was saying that if you drove an isolated ground rod and connected a wire to a breaker and connected to or attempted to connect to that ground rod, that the breaker would not trip.

I may not recall that correctly, but if I am, then if in correctly installed system, you had two abnormal occurrences, of a ground fault and a lost neutral, then would the breaker of that faulted circuit trip?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I was watching one of Mikes videos, where I believe he was saying that if you drove an isolated ground rod and connected a wire to a breaker and connected to or attempted to connect to that ground rod, that the breaker would not trip.

I may not recall that correctly, but if I am, then if in correctly installed system, you had two abnormal occurrences, of a ground fault and a lost neutral, then would the breaker of that faulted circuit trip?
No.

retirede

It would depend on the relative position in the circuit of the fault vs where the break in the neutral is.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Lost utility neutral

With a lost utility neutral, a ground rod at the service becomes a lot like the isolated, enegized ground rod in Mike's example. On a split-phase 120/240V service, essentially both hot legs are connected to the rod through the loads (if plugged in or turned on) and the service equipment neutral bar. If only loads on L1 are turned on, then it's quite the same, and the rod may develop a step potential just like in Mike's example. If loads on L1 and L2 are on, then the step potential will depend on the relative resistances of the loads. Just another reason that a lost neutral is a really bad situation.

retirede

Lost utility neutral

If you have a ground fault on one branch circuit in conjunction with an open utility neutral, the breaker may trip, depending on what loads are energized on the opposite leg. Loads on the opposite leg are likely to be damaged, as well.

But the presence (or lack) of a ground rod doesn’t have any effect on the scenario.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
It is a common misunderstanding that a ground rod has something (or anything) to do with clearing a ground fault. It does not.

Current returns on all available paths, inversely proportionally to resistance, back to the source. The grounded conductor is what clears ground faults.

I actually overheard a guy in the electrical department of the local supply house telling a customer that “electricity is trying to get back to ground”. 😳

Willie B

It is a common misunderstanding that a ground rod has something (or anything) to do with clearing a ground fault. It does not.

Current returns on all available paths, inversely proportionally to resistance, back to the source. The grounded conductor is what clears ground faults.

I actually overheard a guy in the electrical department of the local supply house telling a customer that “electricity is trying to get back to ground”. 😳
Not a surprise. Selling electrical supplies does not get the training an electrician gets.
I've been told by a licensed electrician who has taught in State of Vermont night school, now he works the electrical department in Home Depot. He told me there is no such thing as schedule 80 PVC conduit. Saw him selling ALSER2 cable to people for direct burial.