lost power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazz

I had to take down an old fan,no breakers marked.So I turned the switch off,the neutral touched the metal bracket and I lost power.No breakers tripped,no bad breakers but all power to the bedroom lost,everything else in the house works,pulled all receptacles,switches no power.Anybody got any idea whats going on.Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bazz said:
I had to take down an old fan,no breakers marked.So I turned the switch off,the neutral touched the metal bracket and I lost power.No breakers tripped,no bad breakers but all power to the bedroom lost,everything else in the house works,pulled all receptacles,switches no power.Anybody got any idea whats going on.Thanks.

Probably a GFCI somewhere or an arc fault breaker that needs resetting.

76nemo

Bazz said:

Are you calling it a neutral just because it was white:-? It could of been a neutral if the box was grounded. Do you have AFCI's in the residence?

480sparky

76nemo said:
Are you calling it a neutral just because it was white:-? It could of been a neutral if the box was grounded. Do you have AFCI's in the residence?
Was this white in the ceiling box or switch box?

mdshunk

Most/many old houses older than a certain vintage, wired in K&T, switch the neutral. That leave a hot wire still hot when the switch is off. That said, I'm not sure how you drew a spark with, presumably, nothing grounded.

bazz said:
Anybody got any idea whats going on.

magic8ball.jpg

Bazz

No AFCI s in the house,only one GFI not tripped.Did not create a large spark,in fact if the tv did not go off I may not have noticed at all.Two switches on the wall,looks like a feed and two switch legs,one for closet lts and one for the fan.Fan has a hot and a neutral to it.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

Bazz said:
Did you look for a subpanel anywhere? check the 2 pole breakers in the main and see where they go.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here's the best troubleshooting tip I can give you:

Plug a 3-wire extension cord into a known-properly-wired receptacle, and carry the female end up the ladder with you, along with a solenoid-type tester. The cord gives you a reference hot, neutral, and EGC against which to test each of the wires in the box.

Keep in mind that the cords hot may be on the same or opposite phase as that of the box, but that is of minor consequence, since you're looking for power between the cord's hot and the box's white, and between the cords neutral slot and the box's black.

This will immediately tell you which conductor the open is in (don't forget to turn the switch on), and once you determine that, go to the switch box and perform the same tests. If everything is normal there, you have the one-in-a-million case of bad wire.

You can use the cord's EGC to assure which wire is hot relative to earth, regardless of its color. This will also help you determine whether the switching is in the hot conductor. Remember, it worked in the past; something has changed. You need to find it.

electricalperson

as previous members said, it sounds like a possible GFCI trip. did you search the entire house for a gfci? sometimes they show up in weird places. did you check power at the switch? L - N L - G?

electricalperson

as previous members said, it sounds like a possible GFCI trip. did you search the entire house for a gfci? sometimes they show up in weird places. did you check power at the switch? L - N L - G?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Another hint: if you test as I explained above, and find both hot and neutral missing, it's either a tripped GFCI or a severed cable. Anything else will show only one conductor open.

electricalperson

LarryFine said:
Here's the best troubleshooting tip I can give you:

Plug a 3-wire extension cord into a known-properly-wired receptacle, and carry the female end up the ladder with you, along with a solenoid-type tester. The cord gives you a reference hot, neutral, and EGC against which to test each of the wires in the box.

Keep in mind that the cords hot may be on the same or opposite phase as that of the box, but that is of minor consequence, since you're looking for power between the cord's hot and the box's white, and between the cords neutral slot and the box's black.

This will immediately tell you which conductor the open is in (don't forget to turn the switch on), and once you determine that, go to the switch box and perform the same tests. If everything is normal there, you have the one-in-a-million case of bad wire.

You can use the cord's EGC to assure which wire is hot relative to earth, regardless of its color. This will also help you determine whether the switching is in the hot conductor. Remember, it worked in the past; something has changed. You need to find it.
thats a nice trick right there ill make sure to use that next time i run into a similar problem

Status
Not open for further replies.