Low mounted conduit outside a residence, asking for suggestions

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a project where we will be installing a 26kW generator outside a single family residence. The generator will be ~8' from the house.

I'm thinking of driving a few sticks of unistrut into the ground and using that to attach the NG line and my conduit. I've never used this method but have certainly seen it installed many places. I'm curious for any opinions on this method for this installation.

If I only need 12-18" above ground, how deep would you drive it? I'm picturing a couple feet.

I was thinking of driving it directly into the ground but should I go the extra mile with concrete to prevent rapid corrosion? I'm a little concerned about hitting a rock and making my strut crooked so maybe concrete makes more sense anyway.

Is there cause for concern with an inspector if this isn't an approved installation method with the strut manufacturer?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
We used to sink a 4 x 4 pressure treated in for swimming pool outlets etc and the inspector had no problem with it that I know of without concrete.

With strut I think you need concrete. You could use the 4 hole strut baseplates and drill anchors in the concrete which would last longer than strut in the concrete.

Or go underground. If it is only 8' then nothing can get damaged, Even the gas line can go

undergroundhttps://unistrutstore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/ccc19f009fc921588ff46f7c0b2c29fb/p/2/p2072asq-eg-unistrut-feet-1100px.jpg

synchro

Occupation
EE
Galvanized fence posts or sign posts (like for parking signs) are another alternative. They are commonly embedded in concrete.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
What type of conduit? PVC or EMT would be easily damaged. Unistrut would require concrete, and in my damp area I would use hot dip galv.
4x4 are readily available, but would require concrete embedment.
8 ft is not that far and if pad is being poured then the pad and the trench could be done together

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What type of conduit? PVC or EMT would be easily damaged. Unistrut would require concrete, and in my damp area I would use hot dip galv.
4x4 are readily available, but would require concrete embedment.
8 ft is not that far and if pad is being poured then the pad and the trench could be done together
Conduit will be PVC. It will be running past a heat pump and I wouldn't consider it to be subject to physical damage. The pad is a precast concrete pad. So it sounds like your opinion Tom would be to drop into the ground instead?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The problem I have seen is conduit suspended 12-18" above ground becomes a good "step stool" especially for kids. Normally when those installations are done locally, another piece of strut or some treated wood member is run alongside the conduit as protection against damage.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
The problem I have seen is conduit suspended 12-18" above ground becomes a good "step stool" especially for kids. Normally when those installations are done locally, another piece of strut or some treated wood member is run alongside the conduit as protection against damage.
Kids mowing grass with a mower or using a weedeater and being pissed because Dad made them is a real chance of damage......

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Kids mowing grass with a mower or using a weedeater and being pissed because Dad made them is a real chance of damage......
What world do you live in?

No one mows their own grass anymore
Unless the mower is part of a computer game, no kid is going to touch it, or even know what it is! :D

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

No one mows their own grass anymore
Unless the mower is part of a computer game, no kid is going to touch it, or even know what it is! :D
You're wrong on both counts.
I mow my own yard and my son helped when he lived here and now mows his own yard and his kids help.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
12-18" is a 'tripping hazard!' Eight foot from the house sounds like a drivable lane... Painters, roofers, sidingers, will all 'bless' your name for blocking easy access all along the house!

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
12-18" is a 'tripping hazard!' Eight foot from the house sounds like a drivable lane.
Agreed. That distance I'd put underground then stub up right next to Gen. Separate strut for support of gas regulator and electrical. Really any space that is walkable is a hazard (trip or hanging) for low suspended gas or electrical.
225.18 has minimum clearance for overhead wiring. Now what constitutes "overhead", (Code does not define) might be compared to other options such under ground.
So, Is any wiring that is not under ground or enclosed within wall or structure "overhead"?

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sounds like most are suggesting underground as the best option, which is doable especially since the alternative is digging holes for concrete embedded strut anyway.

Here is an idea of the layout. I felt that given the situation, it's not in a walking path and wouldn't be susceptible to potential damage.

1702403288461.png