Low volatage undercabinet lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There are certainly CL2 and CL3 low-voltage cables, such as in-wall speaker wire. Is there a readon they couldn't be used?

PetrosA

There are certainly CL2 and CL3 low-voltage cables, such as in-wall speaker wire. Is there a readon they couldn't be used?

I've only ever used NM, but before using speaker wire I'd want to make sure that it's rated for the continuous load being put on it with lo/vo lighting.

BTW, is anyone else noticing that the insulation on Ambiance wire is pretty junky lately? I've been having problems with it peeling off when separating the two wires.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Low voltage wire CL2 - CL-3

They work fine size the wire for Voltage drop it's very critical especially with solid state power supplies and Halogen lights.

Low - vo cable is the only way to go.
Make sure you put a divider in the box if you share a junction box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can easily find CL2/3 and plenum-rated speaker wire in as large as 12ga easily, both 2- and 4-conductor, and probably 10ga with a bit of effort.

mthead

Low voltage undecabinet lighting

Low voltage undecabinet lighting

---Why is it that the words speaker wire keep coming up -oh yeah!because it's listed for use as 'speaker' wire.
much the same as that "malibu" u/g wiring that the supply houses will sell along with a puck lite package is listed for use "underground"-not in the walls.
Got to tell you - 'I've allways used this wire",and "the salesman said it was ok" don't carry much weight.
Sort of like the time I said to the Trooper-"Well yeah it says 25mph,but everybody else was going 55mph too"--all that got me was a look that said "You sayin' I'm not doin' my job boy? That was long before I became an inspector but I learned that the "Used to,never before,the other guy said," type of argument just doesn't really work in life.
The answer is usually in the instructions or the listing or the white book.
Unfortunately-especially with pucks-it probably won't be the answer you want.

I'll also say that most inspectors that I know wish there was an easy solution to this situation-I don't like pucks-12volts or not they burn VERY hot but the h/owners are still sold on them and it wears on us going thru this everytime.

220/221

We use listed wire. I don't know the designation. It's sheathed, stranded pairs..... kind of like fire alarm wire. I will check tomorrow.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
For under cabinet lighting supplied from a class 2 power supply, speaker wire can be installed concealed if it is listed and marked CL2 or better as permitted by 725.61(E)(1) and marked in accordance with 725.82(L).

IMO.

Last edited:

iMuse97

We use listed wire. I don't know the designation. It's sheathed, stranded pairs..... kind of like fire alarm wire. I will check tomorrow.

We used heavy black wire, that otherwise looked like "speaker wire." This was quite a few years back, and it was "approved" by the AHJ in the toughest locality around here. I'll see if I can find some of it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I am curious as to 310.10 . What part does this have to do with our application ?

We have 70 C Cl-3 and Cl-2 wire. It is rated for low voltage applications. It's not twisted like speaker Cl rated.
Are we doing something wrong.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wouldn't the CL2 or CL3 cable need to be listed for use as part of a low voltage lighting system?

411.2 Definition.
Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less. A lighting system consisting of an isolating power supply, the low-voltage luminaires, and associated equipment that are all identified for the use. The output circuits of the power supply are rated for not more than 25 amperes and operate at 30 volts (42.4 volts peak) or less under all load conditions.
411.3 Listing Required.
Lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less shall comply with 411.3(A) or 411.3(B).
(A) Listed System. Lighting systems operating at 30 volts or less shall be listed as a complete system. The luminaires, power supply, and luminaire fittings (including the exposed bare conductors) of an exposed bare conductor lighting system shall be listed for the use as part of the same identified lighting system.
(B) Assembly of Listed Parts. A lighting system assembled from the following listed parts shall be permitted:
(1) Low-voltage luminaires
(2) Low-voltage luminaire power supply
(3) Class 2 power supply
(4) Low-voltage luminaire fittings
(5) Cord (secondary circuit) for which the luminaires and power supply are listed for use
(6) Cable, conductors in conduit, or other fixed wiring method for the secondary circuit

PetrosA

From the Seagull Lighting website:

"...In other words, if the 10/2 stranded, 105? cable is used, the jumper wire must be of the same gauge e.g., 10 gauge romex or equivalent."

To me, it's unclear what exactly they mean by equivalent. Would it be so hard to just list they wire they would like to see used in their "system?" Also, as I was trying to nail something down in the NEC last night, I came across a part in the low voltage sections that read (paraphrased) "number of terminals in device shall match the number of conductors in cable assembly" which seemed to imply that we'd need to use 12/2 or 10/2 without ground, since none of the systems I've seen have or are allowed to have a ground screw terminal. Hey, I'm all for technical accuracy in the code book, but when it comes to indoors low voltage lighting it reads more as technobabble than jargon IMHO. I also think it's poor practice on the planning end to design a system that uses the same yellow or orange NM for 12 volts as for 120/240V.

Status
Not open for further replies.