low volt clamping

Status
Not open for further replies.

denlyd

just got popped by the inspector for not (as he called it--"connecting" the low volt wires to my rough-in can--happens to be a 19" channel vision panel without any electric inside. what he actually required was a cable clamp for the wires going into the panel--he stated that all wires low and high volt must be clamped ("connected") to the box they enter. which code does this follow? any info would be usefull as all the local inspectors are picking this up now. fyi--it's just tv and phone lines to a structured panel

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Not required.
Refer your inspector to section 90.3
You state 'low voltage',and I belive you are dealing with wiring under Chapter 8. Chapter 8 is a giant exception to the NEC, and per 90.3 you don't comply with any of the requirements in 1-7 unless chapter 8 sends you there.

And besides, if the wire is not clamped, is there a fire hazard? The biggest danger with "low voltage" is using the incorrect cable to create more toxic smoke in a fire, and penetration of fire walls.

Back to your inspector, just ask for a code section. If he quotes from chapter 3, ask where the requirement is from Chapter 8 that refers to chapter 3.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You should use a bushing or grommet to prevent the cables from being cut or abraded by the knock out but there isn't even a clamp available if you wanted to use one. I suppose you could use an NM 2 screw connector but your out would be that it's not listed for that purpose. Certainly nothing in the Code to require one.

-Hal

denlyd

clamping

clamping

thanks for the input guys--the inspector seems to think that all (i repeat all) wiring follows the same code. will not pass a house if it isn't clamped--he even has the other inspectors doing it now--but i will ask about it once more even though i don't want him giving me a hard time for all other houses. fyi--we always use grommets to protect our wires and go to extremes to pull them correctly and to keep them out of harms way--even from other trades (the insulator is our friend) but again thanks for the input---denlyd

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He at least owes you a code reference for the violation. If he can't provide one then he needs to have his thinking corrected before he continues to enforce things that don't exist. I wouldn't worry about how he'll react on the next house, just get him to properly apply the code on this one.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Invite the inspector to the forum, might temper his ego a bit. This forum contains hundreds of years of experiance to help solve problems, and continuing education just by osmosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.