Low Voltage at Subpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhawkins

I am having issues with low voltage at my garage refrigerator outlet. It's getting anywhere between 52-70V, depending on if I have a receptacle tester attached or not. The voltage is roughly 70V if it is connected. The main breaker at the subpanel is a 2 pole and the other leg has acceptable voltage. I had seen on the internet an issue with open neutral and low voltage but because the other leg has acceptable voltage, I have a hard time believing that it would be an open neutral. There is a junction box, just outside the garage, that i opened up and tested the voltage. It's still 70V there. At the main panel breaker, its acceptable voltage. There aren't any other connections between the two points. Do you have any suggestions on what else I may be missing or investigate more what is causing that low voltage? The run between my house and garage is underground and can't think of anything else I can look into.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Since you are listed as an apprentice I suggest you have your Journeyman or Master help with this. We are not allowed to help non-electricians with DIY projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.