low voltage cables strapped to a sprinkler pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1061

In Chicago. In a high rise building. In the garage and other similar areas. The question is can you strap low voltage cables to a sprinkler pipe? They Are cat6 and 18-2 and coaxial cables for security cameras and FOB's ( access control). I don't deal with that stuff but some of the others in the company do. They finished the job and the building is saying it's against code. Can you help me out? Thanks Mime

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In Chicago. In a high rise building. In the garage and other similar areas. The question is can you strap low voltage cables to a sprinkler pipe? They Are cat6 and 18-2 and coaxial cables for security cameras and FOB's ( access control). I don't deal with that stuff but some of the others in the company do. They finished the job and the building is saying it's against code. Can you help me out? Thanks Mime

what paragraph of what code are they claiming is being violated?

mike1061

what paragraph of what code are they claiming is being violated?
I would think its the property manager. They wouldn't be able to quote anything. What I would like to able to do is show them some kind code that shows its permissible. Or on the other hand. Show the guys what they did wrong. Thanks. Mike

kwired

Electron manager
Just like the electrical code generally prohibits the supporting of other items from the electrical system components, many other codes have similar rules. Foreign systems generally are not permitted to be supported by a particular system be it plumbing, HVAC, mechanical, elecrical, etc. There are usually exceptions where two systems come together or are associated with one another, but outside that keep them separated is the general rule.

As mentioned check into sprinkler codes - I bet you find something prohibiting this. If the cables attached are for a sprinkler system component there may be exceptions, but not for something unrelated to the sprinkler system.

I know the NEC wouldn't let you support the sprinkler system from electrical system components.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Have you looked at the Chicago Electrical Code? That code is very restrictive on the use of any cable or flexible wiring method.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

NFPA 13 (2007) Installation of Sprinkler Systems

9.1.1.7*Support of Non-System Components. Sprinkler pip-
ing or hangers shall not be used to support non-system com-
ponents.

Chicago is really anal about fire protection systems. I highly doubt the AHJ would have approved hanging anything from or zip-tied to the sprinkler pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.