Low voltage cabling for a condominium building (20 units in a building about 700sqft each unit). Cat5e or Cat6A

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello all. Typically for condos/apartments type projects i run a (1) coaxial cable and (1) 4-pair CAT5e cable in a 1-1/4" conduit from the main building telecommunication room to each tenant main IT box. Cat5e is typically easier to run from my understanding. For new building construction do you think it is recommended to run Cat6A instead of Cat5e while keeping the same conduit size 1-1/4". I would like to get a general idea what everyone thinks. Thanks!

ruxton.stanislaw

Occupation
Laboratory Engineer
In my home town, 3 Gbps XPON service is already mainstream and I am starting to see a lot of new computers including a 2.5 Gb ethernet port. The 6A could be a good investment in the future for a new building.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would check with the cable providers and building owner first. Here, that kind of wiring is a thing of the past and they may not even use it if you provide it. What is being installed now is managed WiFi. Access points are installed and maintained by the provider throughout the building and area. Tenants set up an account with the provider, get a password and connect to their system- like at a hotel. Though I realize that WiFi is not as fast as wired, I guess it's the price you pay for living in a condo or apartment.

-Hal

cabledawg

Occupation
cable dude
I personally would entertain the idea of running a cat 6/fiber/co-ax combo if fiber is going to be an option anytime soon. That would cover all the bases. Unless it in a po-dunk town with no chance of fiber anytime soon then just cat 6/co-ax will do.

Todd0x1

Don't use 5E, even though its still 'adequate' its old and not specified anymore. Cat6 is the minimum standard now. 6A is substantially larger and is a pain to terminate. Out here the providers are doing one of three things. 1: Coax into the unit. 2: Fiber to MPOE or IDF with ONT there and data over Cat6 into the unit. 3: Fiber into the unit. I would install 1x RG6 tri or quad shield, 1x CAT6, 1x microduct for provider installed fiber. I would not bother installing fiber (tried that once and the provider refused to use it because they didn't install it, yes it was correct type) unless it is pre arranged with the provider.