Low Voltage commercial installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
ClearCom said:
I guess as with anything, the inspector on site has the jurisdiction to decide whatever he wants.:roll:
Usually, the inspector is not the AHJ. The AHJ is usually back at the office, and may not agree with the call in the field, if the facts are presented in a reasonable fashion.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The AHJ is usually back at the office, and may not agree with the call in the field,
In many cases the AHJ is not even a person...it may be the govenment body that has adopted the code.
Don

ClearCom

I plan to call early Monday AM to get all the info from the inspector, including the violations we failed for, and with due respect, we will attempt to explain that past inspections have passed with flying colors using the technique we used.
I'm sure that since we failed, we will be under a microscope the next time!

JohnJ0906

ClearCom said:
I plan to call early Monday AM to get all the info from the inspector, including the violations we failed for, and with due respect, we will attempt to explain that past inspections have passed with flying colors using the technique we used.
I'm sure that since we failed, we will be under a microscope the next time!

Just keep in mind, just becaused something has passed inspection in the past, doesn't mean it wasn't a violation. The inspector might be seeing something that wasn't seen before.

ClearCom

I realize that, but at the same time when a previous inspector made a point of showing us that we did a good job, we can only assume it was correct. After all he is an inspector.
He even called in another contractor to show him what we did to keep the wiring off the grid. What other assumption should we have made?
We only used tie wraps on that job and attached them to the supports in the ceiling. We left the tie wraps in a looped setting to allow the wire to be raised and still supported, never touching the grid.

I just got a call as I'm writing this that the main problem is that some of the wiring is over the sprinkler system, or might be touching the pipes. Big no-no! I just called my installer and told him why. He of course played dumb. He is on his way to the job right now to get the wiring off the pipes! The GC said the whole thing is incorrect. Not the case apparently!

I will be on site tomorrow to see exactly what failed. Playing phone tag seems to have changed the story a little, huh!

satcom

ClearCom said:
We only used tie wraps on that job and attached them to the supports in the ceiling.

Did you use the the same supports, that support the ceiling grid, or did you install seperate support as required. 300.11 Securing and Supporting, also check all of Article 800

ClearCom

I will be on site tomorrow to fix it all!!

Yes we did in some places, shared the support on the ceiling. As I interpret the ruling you mentioned, 300.11, it shows added supports to the ones used to support the ceiling. In essence we are adding additional supports for the ceiling grid.
Great workaround. It makes sense since we cannot verify the weight load for the grid and adding a few supports would compensate for the wire weight.

Thanks to all!!

ClearCom

On site today we installed CJ-6 clamps. The same used by the electricians. While we were installing the clips we noticed that the BX was secured to the same grid supports we failed for. They also used tie wraps. What gives?
Not that I care much, but why did they not pass?
The GC's reason was that they supported it at the hooks in the ceiling (we did too). Makes no sense to me unless he greased the inspectors pockets!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.