Low voltage controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesboy123

Is it permissible to run #16 guage 0-10 low voltage control conductors in the same conduit as the line voltage conductors weather it be 110v or 277v.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The term low voltage can be misunderstood, to a utility lineman, it might mean 120/240. To an HVAC technican, it might mean 120/240v.
However, in this case its 0-10V. The rules for this are in Art 725 (which is not called low voltage)
You might be referring to a Class 2 remote control and power limited circuit, in which case the answer is no.
Some might answer 300.3(C) allows it if all the circuit conductors are insulated for the same voltage, but they miss the IN at the end of that section, and that IN sends you to Art 725.
I will admit that Art 725 can be confusing.
If you have a class 1 circuit then its allowed and you can take a class 2 circuit and make it a class 1 circuit.
Now there is a new type of MC cable that has limited energy circuit conductors and power conductors in the same sheath for lighting, and I am not familar with that.
Its also important to know why "low voltage" and power conductors can't be mixed in the same racway, enclosure or junction box.

jamesboy123

Thanks Tom, here in NYC we use plenty of luminary MC cable which has the 0-10 control wires in their own jacket which is inside the MC armor.
The MC typically terminates at the fixture mounted JB as well as a standard 4 11/16 box used for a wall switch.
At both these spots the 277v and 0-10 control conductors are present in the same JB so found it hard to believe that they would not be permitted to run in conduit.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Right, the MC is a new product to me. I see your confusion on MC vs conduit. But the MC is listed for use with lighting controls.
Hopefully some one else will help us out to answer your question.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
In many of those threads MC luminary cable was mentioned, though it might not have been called that by name. Matter of fact there were a few questions specifically asking why can the line and LV be together in that cable but you can't run them together in conduit or just use 4 wire MC.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.