low voltage enclousers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndc81167

Hi,
Iam trying to find in the 2005 nec the requirements for enclosures
for low voltage residential wiring like= door chime, theromstat or intercom
i was always taught they werent need if they voltage didnt exceed
30volts/100va but I cant seem to find anything related in sec 725..

iwire

Staff member
ndc81167 said:
I am trying to find in the 2005 NEC the requirements for enclosures for low voltage residential wiring

Are you trying to find a code section saying 'Not to use a enclosure'?

If so you will not find it, you will also not find a code section requiring an enclosure for the items you listed.

ndc81167

what i'am trying to say is .
Is there a section that tells you where a requirement for enclosure for certian types of voltages,,,
for example
if I had a low voltage circuit working on 50 volts 1000va would a enclousre
be required?

nakulak

1) look in article 800, if your system doesn't apply
2) look in 725 class 2 or 3,

if its not in the above , then its

class 1 limited, or class 1 non limited or simply a chapter 3 method, and in either of these cases you will most likely have to use a chapter 3 wiring method anyway, so pick the wiring method from chapter 3 that you are using and use enclosures required for that method

gndrod

LV wiring

LV wiring

ndc81167 said:
what i'am trying to say is .
Is there a section that tells you where a requirement for enclosure for certian types of voltages,,,
for example
if I had a low voltage circuit working on 50 volts 1000va would a enclousre
be required?

In relation to residential class 2 wiring, some LV transformers may involve location requirements by the manufacturer as in a JUNO Flex-trac 150, 300w transformer needing access for trip reseting. The 12v, 24v secondaries are length critical for needing larger Awg sizing to compensate for line drop. Following the manufacturer's wiring requirements can be associated with 110.10(3)(B) installation and use instructions. rbj

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Door bell circuits are a Art 725 Class 2 circuit. You read the rules in Art 725 and it can modify the rules in Chapter 3 (90.3). All the rules in Chapter 3 apply otherwise.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The basic rule requiring a box is in 300.15. Since a reference to this section does not appear in Article 725 the rule does not apply to wiring installed per that article. 725.3

Status
Not open for further replies.