low voltage in electrical box

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanh50

when installing an alarm using 24vac, is it necessary to run wires into an electrical box first, or can you run the wires from transformer straight into the back of the alarm input terminals. wires will not be visible because it is flush into the wall. what is the code that addresses this type of installation? jmh@detexcorp.com

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: low voltage in electrical box

No code, do anything you want. If the device is made to mount on a box I usually like to use a mud ring if it is new work or a low voltage cut-in ring (like the Caddy MPLS) for old work.

If no box mounting is intended do as you suggest.

What kind of alarm are you talking about? There is usually a code for everything. You just have to know where to look. You can't just do anything you want. Try looking in NEC article 725. What classification is the circuit? 725 will tell you what article to follow for installation. Somewhere in those other articles you may find that a box is required for splices. I work mainly with fire alarm. We always make splices in a box even when running the wiring in cable. I know some wiring can be like doorbell transformers. They are designed with the load terminals outside the box. In that case I wouldn't put the conductors in a box before moving on the the devices.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

...Try looking in NEC article 725.

Class 2 and 3 do not require a box for anything. I guess then that you can say that that's the code though I disagree that there is a "code for everything".

...I work mainly with fire alarm. We always make splices in a box even when running the wiring in cable.

The security and fire alarm trade have their own practices (just like the electrical and telecom trades do) and it is usual to make CL2 and CL3 splices in boxes even when cables are run open. This has nothing to do with the NEC, it's not required, it's just the way you guys normally do your work. Fire alarm will have other requirements (NFPA and local) outside of the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.