low voltage lawn lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Do you need to be licensed as an electrician if you are within the city limits and you want to install 24V landscape lights that are fed from a plug in transformer?

Re: low voltage lawn lights

It depends on what state you are in. Liscensed landscapers are allowed to install LV lighting. If you are a homeowner, you can install the lighting on your property.

benaround

You know,at the Forum we are always refering to " what the manafactures' instuctions " have to say about certian situations. So if their Manual stated something like " should be installed by a qualified electrician" How much would this affect the OP's question?

frank

physis

The instructions are only meant to reduce the litigation that's going to happen to the manufacturer. You'll find information related to the product's installation but I would look to the local government for licensing rules.

Give the building department in your neighborhood a call, if they can't give you the whole story they can tell you where to find out the rest.

hardworkingstiff

I think in NC you don't need to be licensed to install low voltage landscape lighting.

But...... IMO, most people don't consider the voltage drop problems with LV lighting. It's a big deal with the low voltage and relatively high current (as a % of voltage). Plus you have open in the ground splices. I bet a lot of those corrode quickly.

aelectricalman

I dont think you need a license anywhere to install lowvoltage lighting. The application is Plug and Cord. They cant govern what gets plugged in. Only what your plugging it into. :D

aelectricalman

Originally posted by hardworkingstiff:
I think in NC you don't need to be licensed to install low voltage landscape lighting.

But...... IMO, most people don't consider the voltage drop problems with LV lighting. It's a big deal with the low voltage and relatively high current (as a % of voltage). Plus you have open in the ground splices. I bet a lot of those corrode quickly.
You are right about the voltage drop problem, but if the lights are installed correctly, you will not have open ground splices. We do about 50-70 installs a year and we do not allow splices, just quick connectors which we use liquid electrical tape to surround the quick lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.