Low Voltage Lighting Direct Burial Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can standard LV lighting cable be run into a building? I have a LV transformer, the type that typically goes outside, inside of a basement closet. Can the DB cable be run into the basement to the transformer? If no what about if it's in a raceway and a junction box?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
411.5 Specific Location Requirements.
(A) Walls, Floors, and Ceilings. Conductors concealed or
extended through a wall, floor, or ceiling shall be in accordance
with (1) or (2):
(1) Installed using any of the wiring methods specified in
Chapter 3
(2) Installed using wiring supplied by a listed Class 2 power
source and installed in accordance with 725.130

Also the instruction for many landscape lighting transformers state for outdoor use only.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just be aware that many Landscape cables are not double listed as a wire type approved for indoor use (with or without raceway).

(Like everybody else said before I looked.)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So, the description lists a number of standards to which the wire "was constructed", but no mention of any recognized NEC wire type. Definitely not for use in walls, possibly not indoors in any way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So, the description lists a number of standards to which the wire "was constructed", but no mention of any recognized NEC wire type. Definitely not for use in walls, possibly not indoors in any way.
This is from the packaging. Looks like an authentic label with the UL hologram.

Outdoor Lighting Cable Label.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does that mean it can't be used indoors, or that the NEC has no say-so either way?

What if I wanted to use it as speaker wire indoors? Or inside feeding speakers outside?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Does that mean it can't be used indoors, or that the NEC has no say-so either way?

What if I wanted to use it as speaker wire indoors? Or inside feeding speakers outside?

Like I said above, some manufacturers recognize that this wire will often be extended indoors, and they go to the effort to have it listed. Others don't, which is the case here. Just because it is UL listed doesn't mean that it is qualified to be listed as CL2 or CL3. That likely requires reformulation of the plastic and testing to meet the standard which costs money. "Economy" manufacturers like this one understand that probably 95% of the product will be used properly outdoors and by DIYs who have no idea so why go through the expense and trouble.

If you want wire that will be run indoors and be inspected look for some that is listed, it's out there.

-Hal

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Landscape lighting transformers are not CL2 or CL3 so you are pretty much stuck with a Chapter 3 wiring method inside a building.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The output on these landscaping lighting transformers are not Class 2?
There might be some really small ones out there now that are Class 2 but not very common. The maximum nameplate current of a Class 2 supply is 5 amp. This would be 60 watts at 12 volts.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Landscape lighting transformers are not CL2 or CL3 so you are pretty much stuck with a Chapter 3 wiring method inside a building.

Actually, that sounds right. I don't get involved with LV landscape lighting but thinking about it, all but the smallest installations exceed CL2 and CL3. So, that could be why you don't often see CL2 or 3 landscape cable. I'm thinking for those that are listed, the manufacturer is thinking it could be used for speakers and small lighting systems, increasing sales.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There might be some really small ones out there now that are Class 2 but not very common. The maximum nameplate current of a Class 2 supply is 5 amp. This would be 60 watts at 12 volts.
I agree. I was thinking that since the cable is run in free air it would be CL2 but as you've stated there is a limit as to the maximum output of a class 2 transformer. Since this cable is only listed for outdoors I'll put a JB on the outside and transition to THWN to run inside. My original plan was to run PVC to the JB a few feet inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.