Low Voltage Lighting Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So I have a 12 volt lighting system where there are multiple "zones" (trees, path, wall wash, driveway, etc.). I want to provided each zone with an individual switch ganged together adjacent to the transformer. What kind of switches would one use? Just standard toggle switches?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Automotive switches are made to handle high-current, low-voltage DC, so should handle high-current, low-voltage AC with no problem. Plus, there are many styles, lighted handles, etc. Motorcycle switches should be wet-rated if needed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Automotive switches are made to handle high-current, low-voltage DC, so should handle high-current, low-voltage AC with no problem. Plus, there are many styles, lighted handles, etc. Motorcycle switches should be wet-rated if needed.
That's what I was thinking. I looked at a few wall switches I had laying around and they're labeled something like AC only.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That's what I was thinking. I looked at a few wall switches I had laying around and they're labeled something like AC only.
The typical landscape lighting is AC unless it uses solar power. Some controlled interior lighting systems may use DC.
Another issue is the inrush current if any incandescent lamps are used. That would be the Tungsten rating of the switch.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do you have a certain switch or switch panel style in mind? Indoors or out? In-wall or surface-mount?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Indoors, surface mount is closet. I'll probably just use a blank cover on a 4 11/16 box with a few automotive switches.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As Gold said, standard landscape lighting is 12V AC. I would just use normal toggle or Decora switches.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Unless you have a lot of lights and are switching a lot of amperage, just use regular toggle swicthes like you'd use for 120V. They will work just fine and there are no issues.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Gold said, standard landscape lighting is 12V AC. I would just use normal toggle or Decora switches.
Unless you have a lot of lights and are switching a lot of amperage, just use regular toggle swicthes like you'd use for 120V. They will work just fine and there are no issues.
After reading this thread I agree that there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. I'll just install a multi gang box next to the transformer and use some toggle switches. Since the lighting is all LED the loads on each switch should be be minimal. For some reason I was stuck on these being DC lights but they're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.