Low voltage lighting system

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

gar

Occupation
EE
230323-1950 EDT

RussellBrent

I know what an RR& is, but most people will not. I do not know what a 3000 is.

You do not have a low voltage system in all probability. You probably have a 120 V AC system with GE RR series relays that switch the 120 V circuits, but to control the state of the RR relay, which has a nominal coil voltage of about 24 V, you use a 24 V AC or DC power supply for this part of the system.

I have no idea what a 3000 is. Why do you want to change from the RR relay to something different?

RussellBrent

Occupation
Electrician
230323-1950 EDT

RussellBrent

I know what an RR& is, but most people will not. I do not know what a 3000 is.

You do not have a low voltage system in all probability. You probably have a 120 V AC system with GE RR series relays that switch the 120 V circuits, but to control the state of the RR relay, which has a nominal coil voltage of about 24 V, you use a 24 V AC or DC power supply for this part of the system.

I have no idea what a 3000 is. Why do you want to change from the RR relay to something different?

I have a bunch of the RR7s but the system has the 2 wire 3000s

gar

Occupation
EE
230324-0527 EDT

RussellBrent:

Can you describe how the two wire 3000 system works? Since it is two wire it is likely a stepping type of relay, or it could be a polarity sensitive system.

In a stepping system a first signal to the relay would step the relay from OFF to ON, and next pulse from nON to OFF.

In a polarity system a PLUS signal would switch it ON, and a NEGATIVE signal from ON to OFF.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I believe the 3000s use a dry contact for control. No voltage applied.

You would need to rewire the system to insert the RR7s.

It has been a long time since I have seen let alone worked with either one.
Sounds like he wants to do the opposite - remove RR7 and install 3000

The switches don't function the same, do they?
They sure don't wire the same.
I don't think it's possible

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I love those old systems, single button on/off control, they use latching relays to control lights and stuff in retail stores, the GE RR ones were used in all "Borders Book Stores" back in the day. The GE system was based on 24 VAC and could do 277V lighting while the touchplate was more of a residential system for 120V lighting with on 30 VDC control, although some of the 1960's era touchplate were lower voltages. In a pinch you can emulate a latching relay with two ice cube relays and two diodes but don't ask me for the circuit diagram.

gar

Occupation
EE
230427-2010 EDT

RussellBrent:

I have now found a description of the 3000 system.

This 3000 is basically a two state stepping relay. A first low voltage pulse to the relay coil steps the relay to one state, then the next pulse to the same coil switches the relay to the other state. This is a terrible type of system.

If you add an additional relay to the GE RR relay you can make the pulse stepping use a GE relay. I wouldn't want to do this. Find the correct replacement 3000 relay.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
This might work to convert the RR to work like a 3000. If I remember correctly, it’s a pulse output, since the RR cannot have a maintained voltage.

gar

Occupation
EE
230428-0940 EDT

hillbilly1:

What information can you conclude from GE statements as to how your referenced relays work?

For a single coil bistable relay you essentially need something that is basically a divide by 2 bistabe device. In other words you need a flip-flop.