low voltage (shielded) wires and line voltage in same conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Burger

Can I run low voltage shielded control wires in the same conduit as line voltage control wires?

The air handling unit we are to wire is 3ph 480. This is stepped down to 115v for 8 control wires, and the 115 if further stepped down to 24v for 2 shielded control wires. The drawings call for one pipe from the wall mounted controller to the ceiling mounted unit. Can I in this instance run line and low voltage in the same pipe?

That is, is the shielding on the two wires protecting them from induced current (which is my understanding as to why we don't combine line and low voltage wiring in a box without a barrier)?

Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the 24 volt is an Article 725 Class 2 circuit it cannot be run in the same raceway as the power. 725.136

Howard Burger

thanks

thanks

Thank you, Don. I did a little hands-on research and found that the mfg. had put the 8 control wires in a 3/4 in. flex, and the two shielded wires separately in a cable. We'll just have to zip-tie the cable to the emt with the control wires. Live and learn: don't take the engineers plans as the final word.

Status
Not open for further replies.