Low voltage transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 120V to 12V transformer to feed low voltage light on a structure outside.

Would the transformer be considered separately derived or non separately derived?
a3e36e2d2c80455950b88776d6306f8b.jpg

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The diagram you posted does not provide the necessary information with absolute certainty.

The key question: is the transformer primary electrically isolated from the secondary. Transformers can he built isolated or not isolated, and if not isolated then the secondary is not considered 'separately derived'.

The diagram doesn't specify isolated or not.

It is very likely that this transformer has an isolated secondary and creates a separately derived system. But if you need to know with certainty then you need more data.

Jon

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The diagram you posted does not provide the necessary information with absolute certainty.

The key question: is the transformer primary electrically isolated from the secondary. Transformers can he built isolated or not isolated, and if not isolated then the secondary is not considered 'separately derived'.

The diagram doesn't specify isolated or not.

It is very likely that this transformer has an isolated secondary and creates a separately derived system. But if you need to know with certainty then you need more data.

Jon

Would this be considered isolating type transformer or not NEC 2017 Article 411.6(B)??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Would this be considered isolating type transformer or not NEC 2017 Article 411.6(B)??
In general, all transformers, other than an auto-transformer, are isolating. There are special isolating transformers that have a grounded shield between the primary and the secondary, but the rule does not require that for this application. This is a listed product intended for this use...nothing more to look at.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
In general, all transformers, other than an auto-transformer, are isolating. There are special isolating transformers that have a grounded shield between the primary and the secondary, but the rule does not require that for this application. This is a listed product intended for this use...nothing more to look at.

The transformer is used for outside art structure low voltage 13V light purpose. Its primary 120V to 13V secondary.

I dont see how NEC 2017 Article 411 doesn’t apply?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Art 411 requires a listed power supply. Supposedly you have that so you are set to go,.
Most of the systems I see are "listed assemblies".. power supply, cord & lumaires...just hook it up & drive off.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The transformer is used for outside art structure low voltage 13V light purpose. Its primary 120V to 13V secondary.

I dont see how NEC 2017 Article 411 doesn’t apply?
I didn't say the rule does not apply, I said the power supply is listed for the purpose and there is no need to even think about it, let alone look a it.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Art 411 requires a listed power supply. Supposedly you have that so you are set to go,.
Most of the systems I see are "listed assemblies".. power supply, cord & lumaires...just hook it up & drive off.

I dont see in 411 requiring listed supply?

Also data-sheet in OP where it says listed for low voltage?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yes its fine, UL 1838 = complies with article 411.
Article 411 was added to the 1999 NEC and the whole listing requirement just adds confusion to a simple install IMO they should allow class1 or class2 to cover it.
Here are the key things to know about landscape lighting xfromers:

* Isolating power supply required 750 VA or less;
* Not over 30V (or not over the peak voltage equivalent of 30V RMS ac, 42.4V);
* 25A maximum size for all circuits on the secondary side;
* The secondary circuits must be ungrounded and insulated from the primary supply by an isolating transformer. Exposed bare conductors are permitted under certain conditions. Bare conductors are permitted at least 7 ft above the finished floor unless specifically listed for a lower height.
* The systems must be supplied from a 20A (max.) branch circuit (any voltage).

Status
Not open for further replies.