Low voltage wire inside interior walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in the process of installing some cigarette lighter-type receptacles throughout a large house. The fixtures all have Jack Points on them and will be "plug and play." They have been Listed by Intertek (ETL). We assumed that the 12 volt fixtures on a Class II transformer would have to be fed by wire inside of conduit. My ETL inspector said that there is a Class II cable that can run within walls and that conduit is not required. What would be the specific type of cable I would need to use other than just "Class II cable"?

nhfire77

Yea, commuications cable:

CM rated.

See NEC article 725 for class II cable, it will show the limitations. Take into account voltage drop if necessary
If you are going passing to more than one floor you need riser (cmr)

check this one out:

Coleman Cable 51104-45-09 18 / 2 STR CMR 500 FT Pull Box, Gray

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I believe class 2 wiring is CL3, CL3R, or CL3P cables.

How about class 2 wiring is CL2 cable. What do you think CL2 is for?

That out of the way, you certainly can use a higher rated CL3 cable as a substitute for CL2, but it's not necessary and doesn't offer any advantage and is going to cost somewhat more. A CM (communications multipurpose) listed cable can substitute for both CL2 and CL3 and is probably easier to find.

And no conduit is necessary for class 2 wiring.

-Hal

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe class 2 wiring is CL3, CL3R, or CL3P cables.

How about class 2 wiring is CL2 cable. What do you think CL2 is for?

That out of the way, you certainly can use a higher rated CL3 cable as a substitute for CL2, but it's not necessary and doesn't offer any advantage and is going to cost somewhat more. A CM (communications multipurpose) listed cable can substitute for both CL2 and CL3 and is probably easier to find.

And no conduit is necessary for class 2 wiring.

-Hal

Do you feel better now.

Yes, I should have said that Class 2 is CL2 etc. And yes Class 2 can be used with CL3 wiring also.

Now with all that said doesn't the complete system need to listed when using class 2 wiring? 411.3

Status
Not open for further replies.