Low Voltage Wiring 2011 NEC Code Requiements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosey6

Please provide any 2011 NEC code requirements for "low (12volt) residential electrical wiring installation regarding: wiring system design- placement & connectors, following manufacturers installation instructions as an 'Industry Standard' (like IBC part of FL building code), preserving manufacturers extended warranties, & providing 'New' (not used or
"Jerry-Built") products whose performance is not compromised.

Also, does the code require that work be performed in a workmanlike manner w/Std. of Care,
that protects the health, safety, & general welfare & that warranties are honored with product (UL) safety ratings preserved, etc.
Obviously, since low voltage residential system code coverage is ambiguous per 2011 NEC, any other hidden code requirements which will help clarify, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Borda

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Obviously, since low voltage residential system code coverage is ambiguous per 2011 NEC, any other hidden code requirements which will help clarify, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Borda

Not ambiguous at all. There are many articles on "low voltage" in the NEC. What's ambiguous is the term low voltage.
The mother of all low voltage (I prefer limited energy) articles is 725.
Other articles are:

For example, I often hear on the forum that there are no articles on the NEC on Programmable Logic Controllers, but 725 is the main one, with other requirements in 300, Chapter 3.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

You think it's ambiguous because what you are looking for isn't there. The NEC does not cover much of what you are asking about particularly design and warranties.

-Hal

Rosey6

Low Voltage Landscape home electrical wiring , general or specific code requirements

Low Voltage Landscape home electrical wiring , general or specific code requirements

We are trying to find the basic code requirements for low voltage LED (exterior) landscape
lighting , since Sumter County does not regulate low voltage wiring (no permits req'd, etc.).
This is basically so we can help protect our fellow Seniors in The Villages from LED landscape
lighting installations which are unreliable and or defective, not to mention 'short lived'.

Obviously, the benefit of LED lighting in it's low energy consumption and long life, which has
not been the case for to many installations here in Sumter county. Therefore, understanding
the requirements per code may help. Since I am a retired FL P.E., and still licensed as a FL
Architect , I have no choice but to help if at all possible.

Your input so far is very much appreciated, however it also would be good to know if;(1) we
can receive copies of the NEC code Articles provided , (2) there are any general code statements
which cover a licensed E.C.'s duties and, (3) products provided (like light fixtures) need to be
UL rated and 'New' as manufactured, not used or 'Jerry Built' fixtures, per code?

Again your assistance in our neighborly effort in The Villages is very much appreciated.
Please let me know how we can provide a contribution to Mr. Holts Forum. He is also a very
well respected code authority in The Villages!

Status
Not open for further replies.