LP bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenwayne

We are doing a house for one of our builders area mgrs.4,000 sq ft home.They had a reputible propane company come in prior to our rough in,Yellow flex pipe for water heater dryer and fireplace(why not cook top,oven, heat ;)

ryan_618

Re: LP bonding

Well, bonding gas piping is only required where it is "likely to become energized". It doesn't sound to me like it is, so I wouldn't bond it at all.

cpal

NFPA 54 or 58. I think 54 is the natural fuel and Gas Code and 58 is LP.

I don't have either at home .

Im pretty sure the LP Code does not require or want the piping bonded BUT PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE!!

The Naturel Fuel and Gas does require the interior gas piping to be bonded I think it states upstream from the appliance shut off. (try section 3.15, but again no book). See NEC 250.104 (B). If my memory is off pleas accept my apoligy.

and please check NFPA 58.

Charlie

jwelectric

250.104 (B) The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that may energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

electricmanscott

Would you want the gas company picking apart your work because they don't think it looks right? As for the bonding as Ryan said likely to become energized I think is the key phrase. If it is connected to an appliance that also utilizes electricity than it could possibly become energized. The EGC that serves that appliance would provide the bond as required by the NEC and no further bonding would be required.

allenwayne

Thanks scott that makes scense.I wasn`t really picking there work apart just seemed a bit well shabby to me,guess that is picking huh ;)

electricmanscott

I agree that stuff can look shabby. The integrity is within the stainless flex. The yellow covering always makes it appear kinked on bends and it seems impossible to get a nice straight run. The fun part is the plumbers trying to fish it in. Ever see a plumber use a fish tape?
smiley_jester.gif

allenwayne

Fish it :D This was like a snake down a block wall hole punched with a hammer flex pipe bent into a close 90 You can see the kink in the flex pipe :D

electricmanscott

I don't think you can kink that stuff. The kink is in the yellow plastic jacket. So the gas installers, gc, and inspectors are fine with it. The electrician isn't. Hmmm. How much experience do you have with it?

allenwayne

Rough concrete block yellow jacket that is already skinned as far as how much experience have i had with this installation ? Have never seen anything like this,Several coworkers also say what the.... :eek:

allenwayne

Bob,the way we are required to bond to gas system depends on jurisdiction.We deal with 4 different ones each require something different than each other :( In this case we have to have a #8 min. requirement That can come from the panel or from a seperate connection on ground rod.In this area we have a #4 from embedded concrete footer and 1 ground rod requirement.There has to be a seperate connection from ground rod or if from from panel we can use factory neutral bar or ground bar if split service

allenwayne

Also meant to add go 1 mile across the county line and we have to size in accordance with the largest branch circuit grounding condutor that can be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.